I'm Upset, and I'm Going to Rant

Talk about whatever!

I'm Upset, and I'm Going to Rant

Postby Butters » December 29th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Some of you know I work in the glamorous grocery industry. I have been working at the same company for eleven years, stocking groceries overnight, occasionally as the overnight manager.

A few years ago a new store opened much closer to where I live, cutting my one-way commute time from 1 1/2 hours to 15 minutes. To get this transfer, I volunteered to step down from management to just stock. That was all I wanted, a chance to work closer to home without so much stress, I never sought nor asked for anything more. Management at this new store quickly observed that I was very capable, knowledgeable, and experienced, so they asked me to be the overnight backup, to run things when the manager was off or on vacation. I did not ask for this added responsibility, and I did not even get any additional pay for it. I was just trying to be helpful.

Well, for the past nearly three years I have done that. I have supported my boss, taken on added responsibilities and gripe sessions for no gain to myself, without complaint. Last week, on a big delivery before Christmas, it took me all night to take care of the canned vegetable/soup aisle (who would've thought people would buy a lot for Christmas dinner?). My boss was so enraged that he went to the store manager, said that I wasn't giving a serious effort anymore, and demoted me.

What bothers me most is that no one even told me. My boss said literally nothing, I learned when I saw the schedule. I asked the store manager, and he apparently thinks I do literally nothing competently. So I'm basically told that everyone was so sick of my work that an immediate change had to be made and no did me the courtesy of even a SINGLE CONVERSATION. No one telling me what they were unsatisfied with, or that they thought I just didn't have the qualities they wanted, nothing. I told the store manager that I would have appreciated someone talking to me, and his response was, "I think this sends the message. Maybe this'll get your attention." The FIRST COMMUNICATION is demotion. The one thing I've always taken pride in is my conscientiousness; I always work hard, and I care how things run; I've often had to be told to not worry about something and just leave, because I don't like to let details go. My reward is to be demoted and reassigned by management that thinks I neither work hard nor care.

I work for a union company, so I still make the same money. But I'm so angry at how I was treated that I'm planning to look for a new job, walking away from 11 years of service and 3 weeks paid vacation a year. Hard work and loyalty clearly mean nothing to these people, and I'll even live with a little less money if I have to. I have no idea what I'm going to do, I don't have a college degree, but I'm going to look. I'm angry and feeling very insulted, and I literally did nothing to deserve this kind of treatment.

That's my rant. Thanks for listening to it.
I am to metaphor cheese as metaphor cheese is to transitive verb crackers!
Butters

Re: I'm Upset, and I'm Going to Rant

Postby Scorpion » January 1st, 2017, 10:48 am

Holy crap!!
Sorry to hear this Butters.
I'd be pissed too!!
Management is supposed to mentor people not cut them down.
Many have never learned this aspect of the position.
They often react the way they've learned, a level of hostility towards the peons.
Some see people who take initiative as a threat.
Or, someone on the crew you worked with had an axe to grind and passed on some info that made you look bad.
Hard to say.

Sometimes, even after 35 years, I'd like to cut loose.
Over the last 2years I've gone from 28-30 hours to 20-22.
Don't need to ask why.
At top rate, they can have 2 youngsters scheduled for what I earn.

The only thing that keeps me there is the wage, 6 weeks paid vacation and the location where I work (one of two in the whole chain) counts years of service instead of total hours worked in a year towards the pension. So, even tho I work what amounts to a little over a half year, I get full year credit.
That and I only have 10-15 years to go to retirement.
A man wants to have sex or he doesn't.
If he doesn't, its like trying to put a marshmallow into a parking meter.
Scorpion

Postby Butters » January 2nd, 2017, 3:54 pm

Yeah, this is something I literally don't understand. The guy they replaced me with isn't getting the work I used to do any faster, the night crew doesn't finish any earlier for him than they did for me, but they're happy with him. For some reason, they just turned on me. Whatever, I guess; clearly nothing I do is going to make a difference. And you're very right, both the night manager and store manager seem think that hostility is leadership, that's a very good observation.

On the plus side, my current work is easier for the same pay. I'm hanging tags a a few days, and working our natural foods department the other days. It's easier, and I don't have to deal with the a-hole. It's not about the work, and I honestly don't care about the position. I'm just really angry at how I was treated. But it's just very clear that being a team player, being cooperative, and doing years of hard work doesn't mean anything to them.

Thanks, Scorp. I knew that at least you could understand what this is like.
Butters

Postby Michaels153 » January 3rd, 2017, 12:09 pm

Butters
I feel for you. Your experience with management though not new is far too common and not necessary. I doubt that you not having a degree is a detriment to where you worked. I worked with a man who also went to Case. He had a degree in Social Services Administration and was totally ineffective with the target population that we worked with. We had a housemother who was one of the cooks and she had a high school diploma from Mississippi. She was far more effective than the grad, and far more appreciated because of her efforts. Honesty, hard work, and loyalty are still appreciated and respected by most people today wherever you are or go to. Good luck to you. You already found something else that you seem satisfied with focus on that and don't let the anger you felt for the previous situation make you bitter. It's a new year, a new challenge, and your needs are being met. That is a lot to be thankful for.
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Postby Scorpion » January 4th, 2017, 8:36 am

Also, the way management treats its subordinates is often reflective in the way they were previously treated by their superiors.
And upper management is more interested in 'numbers' rather than the satisfaction of their employees.
We do yearly surveys every new year.
Why bother.
They do what they want anyway.
A man wants to have sex or he doesn't.
If he doesn't, its like trying to put a marshmallow into a parking meter.
Scorpion

Postby Butters » January 5th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Michaels153 wrote:Butters
I feel for you. Your experience with management though not new is far too common and not necessary. I doubt that you not having a degree is a detriment to where you worked. I worked with a man who also went to Case. He had a degree in Social Services Administration and was totally ineffective with the target population that we worked with. We had a housemother who was one of the cooks and she had a high school diploma from Mississippi. She was far more effective than the grad, and far more appreciated because of her efforts. Honesty, hard work, and loyalty are still appreciated and respected by most people today wherever you are or go to. Good luck to you. You already found something else that you seem satisfied with focus on that and don't let the anger you felt for the previous situation make you bitter. It's a new year, a new challenge, and your needs are being met. That is a lot to be thankful for.

Scorpion wrote:Also, the way management treats its subordinates is often reflective in the way they were previously treated by their superiors.
And upper management is more interested in 'numbers' rather than the satisfaction of their employees.
We do yearly surveys every new year.
Why bother.
They do what they want anyway.

Hey, thanks, both of you. This is the kind of thing where we naturally tend to think, "Well, lots of people deal with a-holes at work." Then, when it actually happens to you, it's entirely different, or at least that's my experience. It's an oppressive feeling to dread going to work, and then to keep wondering when you're going to turn a corner and see someone you want to hit.

Fortunately, I've lobbied one of the store managers (not the one who hates me) to just keep me away from the overnight manager, and so far he has; I've been splitting my time between two departments where I don't have to deal with him. The work is easier, there's less stress, so all that's a plus. If I'd gotten there through a normal conversation about needing to make a change rather than an ambush, I'd have no issue, but they decided to be a-holes.

I'm doing a bit better now. Thanks for listening and understanding. This has been a humbling experience for me, it's made me take a long look in the mirror to figure out how I got to the point where a couple of jerks at a grocery store can make me miserable; I don't like what I've let myself become, and I need to change that, though I'm not sure exactly how yet. I appreciate you being there to hear my complaints, I'm certainly no Job but I can complain even better :lol:

I hope life is treating both of you well, and if so, I hope to get there with you soon.
Butters

Postby leftyg » January 6th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Communication is at the key of it all. Had your boss confronted you with some workable specifics maybe it would have been better for both of you. But evidently he did not. Still,It is nice to know that you are not alone Butters. I have had my problems too. As a matter of fact what made me feel better is I wrote a book about it, a novel that was pretty funny actually, lot less dense than the stuff I put up here with shorter sentences. Maybe you should do the same thing in your spare time. I thought it was better than going to therapy, and I looked forward to doing it every day for five and a half months and then editing for about a year. I also started out mad at the people I was writing about but ended up having empathy and compassion for them. Maybe writing a book or having a blog on here the way I do about my buddy Bob would do you some good.

You are a very conscientious person, and I can imagine how this cuts you to the quick. I also think that despite all of our political differences that there is a common thread among us, and work is at the core of it. When a boss disses you there is no antidote for that except to say he probably is an asshole which really means he is just human too.
leftyg

Return to General Discussions