How old were you when you

Talk about whatever!

How old were you when you

Postby Scorpion » April 17th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Got your first ticket and what was it for and how old were you?
First accident if at all too.

Me first.
First ticket by OHP in Marrietta at 18 taking my best friend to OU for freshman orientation.
I was trying to pass a semi (I still hate following semi's) and he lit me up for going 69.

First accident I was 19, going through deadman's curve.
Three of us going eastbound, the guy in front of me hit his breaks and I tapped mine but feared getting rear-ended myself so just hlit the guy in front of me.
Just pulled over, exchanged info and moved along.
1977 Buick Regal needed a new radiator and grill.
Other than that, little other damage.

Why do I bring this up?

I got paged at work yesterday, answered the line and heard, in a tearful voice, Mom, I was in an accident.
Poor kid.
Low impact collision in Lake County's most notorious accident area, rt 91 and Euclid Avenue.

She thought we were gonna kill her.

Told her she has to pay the deductible.
Ugh.
I thought we were at $500 but she got lucky and its $250. :P
Now we have to reschedule court appearance because it conflicts with her finals at Lakeland.
A man wants to have sex or he doesn't.
If he doesn't, its like trying to put a marshmallow into a parking meter.
Scorpion

Re: How old were you when you

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » April 28th, 2015, 2:11 am

Tough break for the kid. Hope things go smoothly when she makes her appearance.

First real accident (the one NOT backing up into an unseen, damaged parking lot post...) was on the Columbus city/county line when I was about 21. The guy I coasted into admitted that his back bumper had already been damaged and that he was waiting for his claim money so he could get it fixed. The nicest state trooper in the world took the information, then made me call my girlfriend whom I came into town to visit. He wanted her to meet me at the gas station I was at so I could follow her to her house without worrying about trying to find myself.

First ticket? I was married, in my upper 30s, with two kids in the backseat that would NOT stop asking questions of ME. Dad was in the passenger seat, but they had to ask me. Do NOT turn around while driving downhill - the foot automatically depresses the accelerator. No problems now, since both our cars have cruise control.
My happiness and success is not dependant on someone else's cooperation. It is up to me to succeed.
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby leftyg » May 2nd, 2015, 4:17 pm

It is probably good that your daughter had the accident because she was not hurt and it may make her a better driver; mistakes that are not fatal generally help you. So good luck to her and to your family.

I got my first ticket on Route 84 on my way home from Ashtabula campus of Kent State in 1968 when I too was 19. I was being followed by this scary and shadowy car for a couple of miles at night. So naturally I sped up to escape this car. When the lights of the shadowy car went on I sped up because I thought "oh my God this gang must have stolen a police car!" Turns out it was a very nice patrolman who gave me a ticket for about 50 bucks, a lot of money at the time.

I have had two accidents in my life. Both happened within a mile stretch of I-90 in front of where I live. Road work on the freeway by Eddy Road had forced me right into traffic full speed; it was insane. The posted speed limit was 50 MPH, but nobody observed it so you had to merge going about 60 MPH or be flattened. One day I had hit the freeway doing that speed and a semi behind me was doing seventy miles per hour, so I jumped on it hard to avoid getting run over. I was very focused on hitting the freeway at full speed after that. A couple days later I was entering the freeway when I glanced back to make sure I had clearance and of course sped up. The woman in front of me came to a dead stop. I slammed on my brakes but I still nicked her pretty good. A few days earlier, I thought I had just received a refund for over payment of my insurance because I had just moved to a safer area in Bratenalh ; in reality It was a cancellation.
For about a month I had been driving without insurance and did not know it. And a whole legal hassle ensued. I never had an accident in the almost 30 years I had driven but in the one moth I was without it, I had the only accident I ever had in my life. to that point. That was in 1994.

Eighteen years later I am driving a 15 year old car because I am very cheap. Anyway, I am driving on 90 just before the Eddy Road entrance when I can no longer steer my car; the mechanism had gone flooey. I tried everything; it was like driving on ice only it was about 70 degrees and clear out, no snow no ice, springtime. My car flipped three times I think down the road. Miraculously and thankfully I did not hit anybody but a guard rail. My insurance company had to pay 800 bucks for that, but I am sure glad I did not hit anybody, and I got to admit that the constant flipping was pretty weird. I just kind of went with it and when the car landed upside down, I crawled out and was surprisingly calm afterwards. I spent the night in the emergency room and had cuts all over my body and my arm was just a big scab.
leftyg

Postby Scorpion » May 5th, 2015, 7:45 am

Jesus lefty, I dont recall you ever mentioning the second accident in the past few years.
Amazing only so little time in the ER!
AND, considering the severity, you had a near perfect outcome.
You could be six feet under now.
Scorpion

Postby Scorpion » May 7th, 2015, 7:38 am

Had the best possible outcome in court yesterday.
Had to pay court costs only.
She was very happy there was no suspension and if there are no other appearances in any court for the next six months (not likely) the ticket will be dismissed and not reported to the BMV. :D
Scorpion

Postby daninchardon » May 7th, 2015, 9:36 am

I was 18 for 1st ticket and 39 for first accident...very very minor but my fault
What I lack in calm serenity I make up for in nervous energy
daninchardon

Postby leftyg » May 8th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Scorpion wrote:Jesus lefty, I dont recall you ever mentioning the second accident in the past few years.
Amazing only so little time in the ER!
AND, considering the severity, you had a near perfect outcome.
You could be six feet under now.

It was pretty wild. Only real accident I ever had and it was a real crash. The other one resulted in a fender-bender. The most important thing was I did not hit anybody else. A really nice nurse took care of my arm, I was bleeding like crazy. It was in April, 2012, just over three years ago. Good thing was I bought a new car which I believe was a smart move in a lot of ways.
leftyg

Postby the whispering eye » May 24th, 2015, 9:40 am

Damn that wasnnt what i thought the question was gonna be....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
the whispering eye

Postby Scorpion » May 24th, 2015, 11:33 am

the whispering eye wrote:Damn that wasnnt what i thought the question was gonna be....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So sorry to disappoint you. :lol:
Scorpion

Postby mikasa5678 » November 2nd, 2015, 5:29 am

Had the best possible outcome in court yesterday.
เกมส์คาสิโนฟรี
mikasa5678

Postby wobbly » November 4th, 2015, 8:50 pm

mikasa5678 wrote:Had the best possible outcome in court yesterday.
เกมส์คาสิโนฟรี

How so?
“Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.”
― Richard Dawkins

Tea Party: Brewing Extremism Since 2010.
wobbly

Return to General Discussions