Kavanaugh

Discuss local, regional, state, federal, and world politics. Keep it classy, Cleveland.

Kavanaugh

Postby JuicedTruth » September 27th, 2018, 8:12 am

These Kavanaugh assault claims have been dominating the news. I have two things that I can't believe people aren't realizing here:

1) The GOP has become nothing more than a cynical and power-hungry party. They will do anything to maintain their numbers or keep people in power. That's 100% clear from the defenses for Kavanaugh that have ranged from "it wasn't him" to "even if it was him, it was so long ago it doesn't matter". You can't throw up 50 defenses of the guy and expect anyone to buy your case. He either did it or he didn't and if he did it, it either matters or it doesn't. Also, if he did do it, he's now lied about it and given his general dishonesty, I'd think lying about it alone would disqualify him, considering his entire confirmation hearing would then be illegitimate.

What also hurts the GOP's defense of Kavanugh is that they will defend anyone in power, or in a position to gain power, against just about any claim. Defending Kavanaugh would look much more legitimate if they hadn't rushed to defend Roy Moore. We all get it that the hard right will do this and the hard left will go against it. But the middle ground was disgusted by Moore and look to be leaning that way towards Kavanaugh. When you defend anyone, the defense of any one person weakens substantially.

2) The GOP did this to themselves. They can't cry foul over Kavanaugh considering they never gave Garland a hearing. Garland had no allegations against him. The only reason he wasn't given a hearing was because the GOP could deny it because they had numbers. When McConnell did that, he declared that the Supreme Court is now a battleground. Going nuclear for Gorsuch further escalated the battle. From this point on, ALL Supreme Court seats will be heavily contested. Next time you want to complain about how unfair the Democrats are being, just look at a picture of McConnell to see how that happened.
JuicedTruth

Re: Kavanaugh

Postby leftyg » September 27th, 2018, 9:22 am

It is absolutely amazing how all these "values voters" have got behind this guy. Dennis Prager said that anybody who opposes Kavanaugh is morally depraved. Bob Frantz called Dr. Blasey Ford a liar who feared taking an oath. They are all in for this one, and in a way it might be a good thing. It could be the final straw or nail or whatever metaphor you choose in the fate of the Republicans this fall. They win a pyrrhic victory if he wins the Supreme Court seat because that may so disgust the public that the GOP even loses the Senate which is a long shot given the group of senators up for re-election. It is important to remember that in 1992 the "Year of the Woman" happened one year after Anita Hill; this election will take place one month after the full Senate confirms Kavanaugh

It ought to dawn on voters that the GOP is a reflection of Trump, from his choice of nominees to the winner take all mentality of congress. The country comes in second at best. If the Republicans had character and backbone they would scrap this guy for the good of the court and the country. But that means squat to people obsessed with winning.
leftyg

Postby JuicedTruth » September 27th, 2018, 9:53 am

I wouldn't call the Dems taking the Senate a longshot. It's tough since there aren't than many Republican seats up for grabs and the Dems have a lot of seats to defend but at this point, the GOP seems to keep shooting itself in the foot. If the Dems can turnout the vote, they could take over. When seats like Cruz' are now contested, it looks far more promising than it did. I wouldn't count on it but it might be more likely than you think.
JuicedTruth

Postby leftyg » September 28th, 2018, 9:56 am

Watched some of the hearings and Kavanaugh did not display a judicial temperament. Instead he was combative with questioners and described the process as a "search and destroy mission." I do not know how a person can be a good judge if they are not, as a witness, the kind of person that respects the constitutional processes that they are going to hear as a sitting judge. I do not know if we want someone on the high court who believes in conspiracy theories.
leftyg

Postby Scorpion » October 2nd, 2018, 9:51 am

Unsubstantiated allegations and her story changed multiple times.
Her social media accounts were scrubbed days before her identity was revealed.
Feinstein told her to get legal representation and suggested Katz, huge Democrat and Hillary supporter.
Her 2 brothers are DC attorneys.
Her parents and brothers, as far as I know, had not written letters to the committee in support of her.
She couldn’t go to DC because she had a fear of flying yet has gone on multiple vacations to exotic locations.
Her attorneys failed to tell her committee staff would meet her in CA or anywhere else for a sworn statement.
DiFi could have submitted the letter to the committee so an investigation could be done quietly to keep her identity secret.

So many more, yet you can’t see this for the smearing of a man nominated by Trump.
Pathetic.
A man wants to have sex or he doesn't.
If he doesn't, its like trying to put a marshmallow into a parking meter.
Scorpion

Postby Mrtazeman » October 2nd, 2018, 4:29 pm

Innocent people don't act like Kavanaugh
Real USA
Mrtazeman

Postby Scorpion » October 3rd, 2018, 8:09 am

Mrtazeman wrote:Innocent people don't act like Kavanaugh

Seriously.
6 FBI background checks one garnered him a top secret security clearance.
Any of these allegations would have been ferreted out before now.
Keep tokin’ on that bong.
Scorpion

Postby JuicedTruth » October 3rd, 2018, 8:44 am

Even if Ford's accusations are part of some conspiracy orchestrated by George Soros ( :lol: ), none of that required Kavanaugh to lie under oath, which he clearly did. He also didn't need to threaten retaliation. His performance last week alone was enough to show he doesn't have the correct temperament to be on the Supreme Court.

Republicans will stop at nothing to get him seated, however. Even though they could nominate someone tomorrow who wouldn't come with Kavanaugh's baggage, they know what he'd do with Roe v. Wade and they know he'd protect Trump against criminal charges. It wouldn't be easy to find someone else to do those things, so Republicans will happily dig an even deeper moral hole to maintain their power.
JuicedTruth

Postby Scorpion » October 3rd, 2018, 8:57 am

JuicedTruth wrote:Even if Ford's accusations are part of some conspiracy orchestrated by George Soros ( :lol: ), none of that required Kavanaugh to lie under oath, which he clearly did. He also didn't need to threaten retaliation. His performance last week alone was enough to show he doesn't have the correct temperament to be on the Supreme Court.

Republicans will stop at nothing to get him seated, however. Even though they could nominate someone tomorrow who wouldn't come with Kavanaugh's baggage, they know what he'd do with Roe v. Wade and they know he'd protect Trump against criminal charges. It wouldn't be easy to find someone else to do those things, so Republicans will happily dig an even deeper moral hole to maintain their power.

Clarence Thomas
Scorpion

Postby Mrtazeman » October 3rd, 2018, 10:08 am

Even if Ford's accusations are part of some conspiracy orchestrated by George Soros ( :lol: ), none of that required Kavanaugh to lie under oath, which he clearly did. He also didn't need to threaten retaliation. His performance last week alone was enough to show he doesn't have the correct temperament to be on the Supreme Court.

I agree, he claimed that all this was being done for revenge by the Clinton's. I wouldn't have been surprised if this came from drug induced Rush Limbaugh but from a potential Supreme Court Judge is shocking.
Real USA
Mrtazeman

Postby leftyg » October 3rd, 2018, 10:32 am

JT said:
I do not recall these allegations with Neil Gorsuch. Maybe it is because there was nothing there with him and the Dems are not pushing a false claim like the false claims against Clinton on Benghazi :D !

I agree, he claimed that all this was being done for revenge by the Clinton's. I wouldn't have been surprised if this came from drug induced Rush Limbaugh but from a potential Supreme Court Judge is shocking.
Real, I think that it is shocking that a nominee for the court would stoop to Rush Limbaugh or Alex Jones level in a senate hearing on his potential appointment.
leftyg

Postby Scorpion » October 4th, 2018, 7:54 am

leftyg wrote:JT said:
I do not recall these allegations with Neil Gorsuch. Maybe it is because there was nothing there with him and the Dems are not pushing a false claim like the false claims against Clinton on Benghazi :D !

Real, I think that it is shocking that a nominee for the court would stoop to Rush Limbaugh or Alex Jones level in a senate hearing on his potential appointment.

Gorsuch wasn’t replacing a swing vote Justice.
Fords claims are crumbling.......
Scorpion

Postby Scorpion » October 4th, 2018, 8:03 am

I can’t get get the link to copy here but read the opinion piece in USAToday by Professor MJ Cleveland, Christine Blasey Ford’s changing Kavanaugh assault story leaves her short on credibility.
Scorpion

Postby JuicedTruth » October 4th, 2018, 8:56 am

I think some of the attacks of Ford are quite unfair.

However, given that this is such a he said / she said situation where it seems doubtful any evidence either way will be produced, I doubt anything would come from it.

All that said, last Thursday provided Kavanaugh another chance to be honest about something and he failed it. He's failed numerous honesty tests at this point. The guy is misleading at best and quite possibly an outright liar. Not exactly qualities you want in a Supreme Court Justice.
JuicedTruth

Postby Scorpion » October 4th, 2018, 9:14 am

JuicedTruth wrote:I think some of the attacks of Ford are quite unfair.

However, given that this is such a he said / she said situation where it seems doubtful any evidence either way will be produced, I doubt anything would come from it.

All that said, last Thursday provided Kavanaugh another chance to be honest about something and he failed it. He's failed numerous honesty tests at this point. The guy is misleading at best and quite possibly an outright liar. Not exactly qualities you want in a Supreme Court Justice.

How many times did he have to say, I like beer. :roll:
Scorpion

Postby JuicedTruth » October 4th, 2018, 9:32 am

Why lie about all the other stuff then? He lied about it because it would make him look bad, but in hindsight it was completely unnecessary. If he isn't confirmed it will be because of those lies, which were avoidable.

But that's what liars do.
JuicedTruth

Postby Michaels153 » October 8th, 2018, 11:59 am

Kavanaugh confirmed 10.6.18.jpg
Kavanaugh sworn in as 114th Supreme Court Justice. October 6th, 2018
Kavanaugh confirmed 10.6.18.jpg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kavanaugh-sworn-in-as-114th-supreme-court-justice-hours-after-senate-votes-to-confirm
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Postby Mrtazeman » October 8th, 2018, 12:25 pm

I wonder how long it will take before Gay people are kicked out of restaurants based on "Religious Freedom"..
Real USA
Mrtazeman

Postby Mrtazeman » October 8th, 2018, 12:30 pm

So she was ridiculed in public and now cant go home because of all the death threats.

So what is the lesson here? If you get sexually assaulted by a rich white guy, keep your mouth shut because you were asking for it...

https://www.businessinsider.com/christi ... ts-2018-10
Last edited by Mrtazeman on October 9th, 2018, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real USA
Mrtazeman

Postby leftyg » October 8th, 2018, 3:01 pm

All things considered I would say this will just add to the anger of liberals and progressives. We will literally have to save the country on election day.
leftyg

Postby Mrtazeman » October 9th, 2018, 9:46 am

All things considered I would say this will just add to the anger of liberals and progressives. We will literally have to save the country on election day

LeftyG, I think the right wing propaganda machine is taking note. They are already citing violence on the left (with no proof) and mob rule (they are talking about assault and rape victims that were protesting) to their people so they could try to gin up their base..

If they want to see mob rule, look no further than the tea party..
Real USA
Mrtazeman

Postby JuicedTruth » October 9th, 2018, 12:02 pm

It will certainly be interesting to see how the next two elections play out -- 2018 and 2020.

With how the government is set up, coupled with shifts in populations to large states, the larger the state you are, the less and less representation you have in government. "Cocaine Mitch" has established the Senate as the main source of power for the GOP and that is where the GOP will likely continue to maintain power. Since California has as many Senate seats as North Dakota, despite being nearly 40x more populous (California has 10+ counties larger than the entire state of ND), the Senate much favors rural states and there's simply more rural states and populous ones.

Couple that with the electoral college now producing multiple recent elections with the popular vote not lining up, along with GOP gerrymandering of House districts, and you have a government that is becoming more and more representing by a minority share of the vote. How long will people actually put up with that? You now have 4 of 9 Justices appointed by Presidents who didn't win the popular vote.
JuicedTruth

Postby Michaels153 » October 11th, 2018, 8:17 am

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2018/10/05/sorry-democrats-there-was-no-fbi-cover-up-they-played-it-by-the-book-n2525854
Wrong, Democrats: There Was No FBI "Cover Up." They Played It By The Book.
By Guy Benson, - Posted: Oct 05, 2018

A follow-up to yesterday's post on Democrats' new, disgraceful line that the FBI either doesn't know how to do its job, or is actively engaged in a pro-Kavanaugh "cover-up." The cynicism and hypocrisy is breathtaking: They careened from insisting that only the FBI was capable of doing this job, to impugning the Bureau's professionalism and integrity. What caused this whiplash? A political outcome Democrats don't like. They're upset about the lack of new evidence that could corroborate unsubstantiated, decades-old allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. It's that simple. An op/ed in the New York Post systematically demolishes these claims, explaining that the FBI -- whose agents were instructed to interview whomever they saw fit -- adhered to normal operating procedure:

Frustrated that the bureau hasn’t helped them bring down a nomination they otherwise oppose, Democrats have pivoted to attacking the FBI — specifically, claiming that the inquiry was curtailed to prejudice the outcome by limiting the pool of interviewees. They’re wrong: The FBI followed procedure precisely. Indeed, the FBI followed the standard background investigation process the Senate uses for the hundreds of nominations it considers. And it’s exactly the process that Democrats were demanding only days ago....

..I'll leave you with a list of the fact witnesses -- not character or hearsay witnesses -- that the FBI chose to interview this week. As you peruse the following roster, please remember the single most important piece of information we have in connection with the allegations against Kavanaugh. Namely, of all the fact witnesses placed at the two incidents by the accusers, none of them have corroborated their accounts. Zero of them, including the woman who says she was pressured by Ford's team to her account. And in the case of the Yale accusation, the accuser herself isn't even confident of her own story, by her own admission:

Byron York

@ByronYork
Senate Judiciary Committee lists people FBI interviewed in Kavanaugh probe. Six interviews on Ford allegation. On Ramirez, FBI questioned Ramirez, two alleged eyewitnesses named by her, plus her close friend. A third alleged eyewitness named by Ramirez refused to talk.
11:44 PM - Oct 4, 2018
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Return to Politics