Tucker Carlson Turning Liberal?

Discuss local, regional, state, federal, and world politics. Keep it classy, Cleveland.

Tucker Carlson Turning Liberal?

Postby JuicedTruth » August 31st, 2018, 8:14 am

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carl ... es-enough/

Tucker went on a rant yesterday about Amazon not paying it's workers enough :shock:

I initially thought this was just going to be a hit-piece against Amazon since Trump hates Amazon because Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post, but surprisingly, Tucker called out Walmart for the same thing.

It's funny, because liberals, including myself, have been saying this for years. Federal and State governments subsidize Walmart and other companies by providing additional money and benefits to them so Walmart can continue to pay below a livable wage.

Consider this -- I have two kids in daycare. Do you know how much that costs me each year? $15,000 out of pocket. If someone is making minimum wage and working full-time, they'd make $15,080 per year, so without government support, they'd have a whole $80 left to last them the entire year for rent, clothing, food, and other necessities.

What so many conservatives don't really understand with things like higher minimum wages and basic income, is that they'd be used to greatly reduce the need for government welfare, which corporations just take advantage of currently. They know someone will accept a job for $10 / hour because they don't have better alternatives and the government will make up the difference.
JuicedTruth

Re: Tucker Carlson Turning Liberal?

Postby leftyg » September 1st, 2018, 10:05 am

Conservatives talk out of both sides of their mouths on this issue. They believe that if low wage workers make a decent living that somehow the economy will go to hell with inflation while simultaneously believing more money in the pockets of the wealthy will result in more incentive and more jobs. As usual, they have it exactly backwards. The rich not needing the money will buy back stocks in their companies and maybe even off shore money in foreign accounts. The working poor will probably spend the money on essential goods and services like you outlined, ironically from the businesses run by the rich. It is like photosynthesis and respiration in the ecosystem.

Here is a chart for the various values of tax cuts and subsidies. Notice that added benefits to the wealthy do not amount to a hill of beans.
Bangforthebuck.png
Bangforthebuck.png (134.75 KiB) Viewed 278 times
https://www.demos.org/data-byte/bang-bu ... c-spending

Why not finger corporations who could pay a higher wage but refuse to as the true welfare queens in America. We should get Americans to understand that if companies do not wish to pay a living wage, then the subsidies that we pay the workers they refuse to pay fairly, are really payments to them, the real welfare kings and queens.
leftyg

Return to Politics