When fascism comes to America

Discuss local, regional, state, federal, and world politics. Keep it classy, Cleveland.

When fascism comes to America

Postby Mrtazeman » July 31st, 2018, 1:48 pm

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." – Sinclair Lewis, 1935 novel “It Can’t Happen Here”.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/twitter-rain ... 01228.html

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Monday that the U.S. Justice Department is launching a “religious liberty task force” — and Twitter erupted.

The new unit will aid the department in fully implementing the religious liberty legal “guidance” issued last year under President Donald Trump’s direction, Sessions said in a speech at the Justice Department’s Religious Liberty Summit in Washington.

The attorney general charged that the freedom to practice religion in America has come “under attack” in the nation’s current “cultural climate.”

A “dangerous movement, undetected by many, but real, is now challenging and eroding our great tradition of religious freedom .... It must be confronted ... and defeated,” he added.

“We’ve seen nuns ordered to buy contraceptives. We’ve seen United States senators ask judicial and executive branch nominees about dogma .... We’ve all seen the ordeal faced so bravely by Jack Phillips,” Sessions added, referring to the Colorado baker who won a religious liberty challenge to LGBTQ anti-discrimination law in the U.S. Supreme Court after refusing to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple...........
Real USA
Mrtazeman

Re: When fascism comes to America

Postby leftyg » July 31st, 2018, 2:11 pm

Real, the religious right is a hoot; that is because they are not right and they are not religious in any decent sense. We can look at the prejudice in this society where no person who professes a religious belief can get a job or be president or anything (my bad, I was just told that it is the opposite).

They whine about a problem that simply does not exist, and they hope sentient human beings will be fooled by it. The funny thing (not funny "ha-Ha" but funny strange) is tht they will probably get their way.
leftyg

Postby leftyg » July 31st, 2018, 2:11 pm

leftyg wrote:Real, the religious right is a hoot; that is because they are not right and they are not religious in any decent sense. We can look at the prejudice in this society where no person who professes a religious belief can get a job or be president or anything (my bad, I was just told that it is the opposite).

They whine about a problem that simply does not exist, and they hope sentient human beings will be fooled by it. The funny thing (not funny "ha-ha" but funny strange) is that they will probably get their way.
leftyg

Postby Mrtazeman » July 31st, 2018, 2:31 pm

I wonder if these same religious liberties apply to Muslims..
Real USA
Mrtazeman

Postby leftyg » July 31st, 2018, 2:36 pm

I wonder if these same religious liberties apply to Muslims..

No
leftyg

Postby leftyg » August 1st, 2018, 12:23 pm

Heard a fascinating comment of Velshi and Ruhle, the best political show on television for my money. And it was this: "my first amendment rights end where the other person's 14th amendment rights begin." And this is what Section 1 of the 14th amendment says:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

And the religious right (potential fascists) want to impose full extension of the their first amendment rights, as they see them, to impose their prejudices on others, ie the right not to serve Muslims or gays or transgenders or anyone else.

And in this vein, Laurence Britt a political scientist studied Hitler, Franco, Mussolini, Pinochet and other far right dictators and came up another 14 ;a list of characteristics of fascist regimes. Number 8 is:
Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.

You can see that and the rest of the list here https://ratical.org/ratville/CAH/fasci14chars.html

But that has been the craw in my throat every time I debated this issue with one of our conservative friends who insisted on extending their personal rights to be prejudiced to businesses. This comment by the guest on Velshi and Ruhle, at the end of their program solidified my thinking.
leftyg

Return to Politics