A perfect description of the president

Discuss local, regional, state, federal, and world politics. Keep it classy, Cleveland.

A perfect description of the president

Postby leftyg » July 6th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Today on Nicole Wallace's program on MSNBC, I heard the perfect description of my problem with the president. And I do not even know the name of the author, but I could find out, and the problem is, I paraphrase: For a man who constantly talks about how large everything he is associated with is, his crowds, his accomplishments, it is stunning how he never misses an opportunity to show his smallness as a person and as a human being.

Thoughts?
leftyg

Re: A perfect description of the president

Postby Michaels153 » July 6th, 2018, 8:58 pm

leftyg wrote:Today on Nicole Wallace's program on MSNBC, I heard the perfect description of my problem with the president. And I do not even know the name of the author, but I could find out, and the problem is, I paraphrase: For a man who constantly talks about how large everything he is associated with is, his crowds, his accomplishments, it is stunning how he never misses an opportunity to show his smallness as a person and as a human being.
Thoughts?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2171006/Video-President-Obama-says-words-I-total-117-times-ONE-speech.html
Did he forget about the voters? Obama says the words 'I' and 'me' a total of 117 times in ONE speech
By MEGHAN KENEALLY PUBLISHED: 11:25 EDT, 9 July 2012

https://www.cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/terence-p-jeffrey/i-me-my-obama-uses-first-person-singular-199-times-speech-vowing
FLASHBACK: ‘I,’ ‘Me,’ ‘My’—Obama Uses First Person Singular 199 Times
By Terence P. Jeffrey | July 11, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/01/31/ego-much-obama-talked-about-himself-nearly-four-times-as-often-as-trump-in-first-sotu-speech.html
Ego much? Obama talked about himself nearly four times as often as Trump in first SOTU speech
By Dan Gainor | Fox News

...For all the media have attacked Trump about his ego, it was Obama who earned regular criticism for being self-referential in his speeches. His first 41 speeches showed this tendency was off the charts -- mentioning himself nearly 1,200 times – 1,198 to be exact.

former interim DNC Chairwoman Donna Brazile said Obama had a “titanic ego,”

Yes, It's just stunning. Obama never missed an opportunity to show his smallness as a person.
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Postby leftyg » July 9th, 2018, 12:09 am

I am sorry but President Obama never bragged about himself in the pathetic gauche way that Trump does. He never insulted anybody the way Trump does. Trump insults everybody and I will tell you not that the emperor has no cloths; in this case, he has no class.
leftyg

Postby JuicedTruth » July 9th, 2018, 9:43 am

I'm not sure how saying "I" or "me" is an indicator of ego.
JuicedTruth

Postby Michaels153 » July 11th, 2018, 8:41 pm

leftyg wrote:I am sorry but President Obama never bragged about himself in the pathetic gauche way that Trump does. He never insulted anybody the way Trump does. Trump insults everybody and I will tell you not that the emperor has no cloths; in this case, he has no class.

More qualifying arguments. President Obama bragged, but he didn't do it like President Trump? :roll: President Obama never insulted anybody the way that Trump does? :roll:
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » July 11th, 2018, 8:53 pm

JuicedTruth wrote:I'm not sure how saying "I" or "me" is an indicator of ego.

I recommend a review of Egocentrism and Berne's Transactional analysis
Michaels153

Postby JuicedTruth » July 12th, 2018, 8:10 am

Neither are based on the % of the time you use the words "I" or "me" in speech. Your "evidence", besides being shaky on relevant merit, also lacks context. Is there a strong baseline of comparable speeches by other President's and Obama clearly used those words more?

I'd also say the other actions and words of a person count far more in accessing the state of their ego as opposed to what pronouns they use.
JuicedTruth

Postby Michaels153 » July 12th, 2018, 12:39 pm

JuicedTruth wrote:

Neither are based on the % of the time you use the words "I" or "me" in speech. Your "evidence", besides being shaky on relevant merit, also lacks context. Is there a strong baseline of comparable speeches by other President's and Obama clearly used those words more?

I'd also say the other actions and words of a person count far more in accessing the state of their ego as opposed to what pronouns they use.

"Neither is based on the % of the time you use the words "I" or "me" in a speech." Perhaps you are correct if that were the only parameters used to identify ego excess. But it isn't. The characteristics that identify our personality are subject to a certain degree of interpretation of our behavior. Communication is a noted behavior. My evidence is directed towards communication because that is what Leftryg referenced from Nicole Wallace's program on MSNBC. "...who constantly talks about" What I recommended is a narrow way to extrapolate communication in order to gain insight into personality. President Obama had a noted tendency to talk about what was going on here in the U.S or in other parts of the world with frequent references to what he thought about it, to what he was doing about it, to what others had asked him to comment on or to take action on. (They asked me to do ....), They said that I..... And that tendency is descriptive of egocentric behavior. President Obama often had difficulty in understanding others perspective on issues and expressed it, whether it was Supreme Court Decisions he did not agree with or wondering how President Trump was going to get jobs. That too is a characteristic of egocentric behavior. And Berne revamped Freud's ID, Ego, and Superego into the Parent, the Adult, and the Child. Through transactional analysis, one could get a general understanding of where a person's base was in the way they were communicating. And it is not very flattering to find out where the excessive use of I and me falls from a transactional analysis viewpoint. But Berne's TA adds to what we already knew about egocentric behavior, and President Obama's speeches indicate a person with an excessive ego.
I am not going to go further in reviewing the research in this area. Your question of a strong baseline for comparative speeches." There are comparisons between President Obama and President Trump on speech subjects, like the state of the union speech. In general, President Obama spoke longer and made references to himself more than President Trump. President Trump, in general, speaks for shorter periods on defined speeches (not campaign stops) and has a tendency to use "we" more than singular pronouns when he speaks.
You could also send an email to Democrat Donna Brazile and ask her to explain her "Obama had a "titanic ego " comment.
Michaels153

Return to Politics