Time for Knife Control?

Discuss local, regional, state, federal, and world politics. Keep it classy, Cleveland.

Time for Knife Control?

Postby Michaels153 » April 1st, 2018, 4:21 pm

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2018/04/01/knife-control-london-had-a-deadlier-february-than-new-york-city-n2466768
Time for Knife Control? London Had a Deadlier February Than New York City
By Timothy Meads |Posted: Apr 01, 2018 11:45 AM

The Sunday Times reports that London, England has had a deadlier month of February than New York City for the first time in modern history due to a "dramatic surge in knife crime." In nearly word-for-word fashion from the current gun control debate in America, this has led some Brits to ponder whether the proper solution is a crackdown on knives. :roll: Why not use ex White House imposter Obama as the person in charge of this bowel movement. Get Obama's picture on a poster and underneath the cartoon place this caption "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun."

From The Sunday Times:

Fifteen people were murdered in the capital, against 14 in New York. Both cities have almost exactly the same population.
A knife is never as lethal as a gun. Get serious. - Leftyg

London murders for March are also likely to exceed or equal New York’s. By late last night there had been 22 killings in the capital, according to the Metropolitan police, against 21 in the US city.

Eight Londoners were murdered between March 14 and March 20 alone and the total number of London murders, even excluding victims of terrorism, has risen by 38% since 2014.

FBI data and studies by the late Eric Monkkonen, a researcher at the University of California, show that since 1800 London has had a murder rate per person of between half and a 20th of New York’s.

Campus Reform's Cabot Phillips jokingly pointed out, perhaps it is time for some updated knife control legislation.

Cabot Phillips

@cabot_phillips
It’s time to ban Assault Knives https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/stat ... 0902279168 :idea: Yea, that's the answer! A ban on knives. :roll:

10:54 AM - Apr 1, 2018
But believe it or not, some in London are actually claiming that is the proper answer to stopping these murders.
A knife is never as lethal as a gun. Get serious.- Leftyg

From The Independent:

Patrick Green, CEO of anti-knife crime charity the Ben Kinsella Trust, fears the death toll “will get worse before it gets better”.

“There is no sign of these murders finishing,” he said. “Some of them are linked to postcode wars or gangs, some of them are unprovoked.

“There isn’t just one thing going on, which makes it really difficult coming up with a strategy to address it.” Mr Green warned that police operations can only contain knife crime in one area or displace it elsewhere.

“It comes down to one simple thing, we’ve got to stop young people carrying knives in the first place,” he added. <- Yea sure, that's the answer (NOT). They tried to crack down on guns and it led to knives!
What do you think will lead the list for the next substitution?

Gee, it is almost as if Mr. Green plagiarized his talking points from the March For Our Lives crowd and swapped out "guns" with the word "knives." I would not be surprised if that is exactly what they do.
It is a very lazy and mechanical approach but logistically it would not require much time, effort or thinking to paste cut outs of the word knives over the word guns on the existing placards. In other words the strategy is perfect for the Libs in London. They can just send a donation to the DNC and request that the DNC ship the batch of posters from the Parkland protests by UPS. I am sure that some arrangement could be made [especially since the DNC is reported to be broke now!] if not to buy the posters maybe the DNC would agree to rent them for awhile :!:
So, what are they going to do? Ban everything except a butter knife?
At first, the obvious answer is that if his plan did work and knives were gone forever, maybe the British would switch all eating utensils to those fancy plastic sporks with a serrated edge. At least that would have been a suggestion until a Google search shows that a website called LAPoliceGear.com, which sells weapon accessories and tactical gear, offers a fully semi-automatic version of that spork. :o Yikes. You cannot make this stuff up. Nevermind, Mr. Green. Ban all knives.

Considering there is already pretty strict gun control in England in the first place, perhaps somebody should tell him - it is not the weapon that is the problem, but the intention of the person wielding it that matters.

Perhaps there should be a march for our sanity with somebody with a bullhorn shouting out to the liberal media: It Is Not The Weapon That Is The Problem, But The Intention Of The Person Wielding It That Matters!
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Re: Time for Knife Control?

Postby JuicedTruth » April 1st, 2018, 7:35 pm

I'd be good trading guns for knives.
JuicedTruth

Postby Michaels153 » April 3rd, 2018, 1:36 pm

JuicedTruth:I'd be good trading guns for knives.

I don't know how old you are JuicedTruth. I think that there may be more than a few people who would share your view. The younger and healthier you are the more you feel almost invincible, or at least "able to take care of yourself." But for those who are not in their peak of health, and for women and those who are older, the substitution of a knife for protection instead of a handgun is not a better choice.
I am sure the criminals would love this choice. With most of the criminals and gang members being younger and generally healthier than the rest of the population, arming themselves with knives instead of guns (hypothetically speaking) they would stand to win a higher percentage of their confrontations.
The recent dissent by Justice Sotomayor revealed a lack of understanding of the risks involved in knife attacks. Police and Security are specifically trained to maintain at a minimum a 12 to 15 feet distance from somebody who is wielding a knife. In this case the police came upon a women with a knife who was within 6ft of the person she was upset with. Fortunately in this case the police were able to stop the knife holder without the loss of life.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/04/03/scotus-ruling-on-police-shooting-n2467046
SCOTUS Rules on Police Shooting...and Sotomayor's Scathing Dissent
By Cortney O'Brien |Posted: Apr 03, 2018 8:05 AM
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Postby JuicedTruth » April 4th, 2018, 7:48 am

I'm saying if somewhere were attacking me, I'd rather them have a knife than a gun.
JuicedTruth

Postby leftyg » April 6th, 2018, 9:55 am

There was a kid in Pittsburg who attacked people with a knife and wounded 22 of them, killing none (0). Same with the Ohio State terrorist whom I have frequently mentioned. He stabbed 11, killed none.

You even said it yourself:
I don't know how old you are JuicedTruth. I think that there may be more than a few people who would share your view. The younger and healthier you are the more you feel almost invincible, or at least "able to take care of yourself." But for those who are not in their peak of health, and for women and those who are older, the substitution of a knife for protection instead of a handgun is not a better choice.
Who is asking that handguns for personal safety be banned? People are asking
just for AR15s and assault weapons. A person wold have to get some training yes and keep the gun safe from children. But you yourself admit that killing people with a knife is harder than with a gun. And when in your life are you going to need an AR15 to do that?
leftyg

Postby hmmmmm » April 6th, 2018, 1:04 pm

leftyg wrote:There was a kid in Pittsburg who attacked people with a knife and wounded 22 of them, killing none (0). Same with the Ohio State terrorist whom I have frequently mentioned. He stabbed 11, killed none.

just for AR15s and assault weapons. A person wold have to get some training yes and keep the gun safe from children. But you yourself admit that killing people with a knife is harder than with a gun. And when in your life are you going to need an AR15 to do that?

What do you do with the 10 to 15 million AR-15's that are already out there ?
The worst form of inequality, is to try to make unequal things equal ~~~~~ Aristotle

You can't cure poverty by creating more dependency ~~~~~

"Science flies you to the moon. Radical Islamists fly you in to buildings."
~~~~~ hmmmmm
hmmmmm

Postby JuicedTruth » April 6th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Stop adding to that number.
JuicedTruth

Postby leftyg » April 6th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Have a generous gun buy back program and use the proceeds for gun education .
leftyg

Postby Michaels153 » April 7th, 2018, 8:55 am

JuicedTruth wrote:I'm saying if somewhere were attacking me, I'd rather them have a knife than a gun.

Just curious JuicedTruth. I have shared statistics that more "police" have died from knife attacks than gun attacks. I know what kind of training that police and security receive, and that usually includes training with a baton. I don't know what kind of training you've had. I knew a women who was a very good cook and very comfortable in and around a kitchen, yet she was fearful of sharp objects such as arrows and knives to a degree of being near traumatized
by experience with them even though she had not. I was also walking down a Cleveland street with a friend when a stranger pulled a Bowie knife on him. It was completely unprovoked, unexpected, and quite bizarre. He was not harmed as he backed away and apologized for unknowingly bothering him. That knife looked like a sword it was so big.
Since any confrontation can become physical; the physical exertion combined with the fear produced in an attack can cause a heart attack. The law even covers deaths caused by such conditions. The crime is still murder.
So is it that you think your safer if confronted by knife instead of a gun, or is there some other reason?
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » April 7th, 2018, 10:01 am

leftyg wrote:There was a kid in Pittsburg who attacked people with a knife and wounded 22 of them, killing none (0). Same with the Ohio State terrorist whom I have frequently mentioned. He stabbed 11, killed none.

Leftyg, your examples, once again, do not make the point that knives are less problematic than guns. It has already been established that knives are lethal weapons. It is fine by me to use counter examples. When I use them you usually are quick to dismiss them as anecdotes. I am not doing that here with your examples. I would submit that some physical attacks are not designed to kill, but to maim. The easiest examples of this kind are the acid attacks. There are some people and some victims who believe that to suffer the life changing impact of being maimed (as in fires or the knife attacks to model's faces is worse than death.

People who think they are safe or safer when they are not, are not helped by the people who are in authority that don't honestly define these risks. We have no problem sending the police and other "experts" to our elementary schools to teach kids not to talk to strangers. But to ignore discussing both the immediate and the long term consequences of proposed legislation, that presumably is meant to be in the best interests of the public, when it isn't is criminal behavior. When Ms. Shultz can say that the propose legislation does not mean that their will be an end to school shootings but....(whatever) she may appear to be fair by her honesty but if she were to include that the proposed legislation may actually increase deaths, (by substitution) do you think that the proposed legislation would have the same chances of being passed?

When it is asked who is asking that handguns for personal safety be banned, you are correct when you say people are asking this. But there are people who are asking that government to not pass gun control measures for the stated reasons that such legislation does not protect the public, and actually increases the pool of the vulnerable when such measures are passed. (No gun zones)

I personally do not own a rifle or a shotgun and I don't think I would ever have a need for an AR 15. I have a small pocket knife that is sometimes useful, but I don't have any training in how to use a knife as a protective tool.
And the first time I had to carry a knife I believe I cut myself twice in the first week that I had it. I personally do not want to be that close to person with the thought that I may have to defend myself with a knife against an attacker. But again, that would be my choice, I am not speaking for others like JuicedTruth who apparently feels differently about this. But the difference is that without gun control, I have a choice in how to legally protect myself, - the choice of how to protect my body. And the decision on how I protect myself has an impact on my sister and remaining relatives. Let me remind you that you are willing to allow women the choice to have an abortion or not to have one and the common justification that is presented for that choice is that it is there body. In an abortion, a women is choosing to kill somebody and claim it is okay because she has a right to do what she wants to with "her body". I am not killing anybody, and I have not killed anybody. Why can't I be allowed to choose how to protect myself with presently legal choices. And I am not arguing for/ or against the AR !5. But now it is no longer just about AR 15's. The left has defined that weapon as an assault weapon, and now they are defining "assault weapons" anyway they choose to do so."

At one time, the left was in an uproar about SUV vehicles. They were claiming these were dangerous. Where was the legislation to ban them? Where was the additional list of unsafe vehicles and the movement to ban them?
Michaels153

Postby leftyg » April 7th, 2018, 11:35 am

Leftyg, your examples, once again, do not make the point that knives are less problematic than guns. It has already been established that knives are lethal weapons. It is fine by me to use counter examples. When I use them you usually are quick to dismiss them as anecdotes. I am not doing that here with your examples. I would submit that some physical attacks are not designed to kill, but to maim. The easiest examples of this kind are the acid attacks. There are some people and some victims who believe that to suffer the life changing impact of being maimed (as in fires or the knife attacks to model's faces is worse than death. The model's face anecdote is ridiculous. I am sure her friends and family would rather have her to laugh with and talk to than miss her forever. I would rather deal with wounded people than dead ones. I am sure the parents at Parkland would vouch for that. One final thing. I try always to use statistical data and studies which you seem to dismiss. If it were not for anecdotes and half-truths, you and Bob Frantz would have nothing to say.
leftyg

Postby Michaels153 » April 7th, 2018, 12:02 pm

leftyg wrote: The model's face anecdote is ridiculous. I am sure her friends and family would rather have her to laugh with and talk to than miss her forever. I would rather deal with wounded people than dead ones. I am sure the parents at Parkland would vouch for that. One final thing. I try always to use statistical data and studies which you seem to dismiss. If it were not for anecdotes and half-truths, you and Bob Frantz would have nothing to say.

The model's face anecdote is ridiculous? How? Because you and I don't feel the way that the model does? It's the model's feelings, not yours Bozo. I will continue to use anecdotes and the truth and make my points.
You can continue with your statistics and never prove anything.
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » April 7th, 2018, 5:16 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/07/london-stabbings-300-extra-police-deployed-streets-tackle-spike/
London stabbings: 300 extra police deployed on streets to tackle spike in knife crime
By Mark Molloy Press Association
7 APRIL 2018

The rising wave of knife crime saw six stabbings in 90 minutes in the capital on Thursday, with a 13-year-old left fighting for his life after an attack in Newham, east London. Three teenage boys, a 13-year-old and two 16-year-olds, have been charged over the incident.

...Meanwhile in Scotland, the number of school exclusions involving weapons has risen to a five-year high.

Over this weekend we will have 300 more officers each day exclusively working against knife crime, exclusively in those parts of London that have been most affected recently.
“In what we call the hotspots.”

...She added: “We will be doing more stopping and searching of people in an effort to suppress violence and of course to take weapons off the street.

“We will be doing more stop and search for weapons and indeed we have been doing more and more stop and search for the purpose of finding weapons.”

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, Sara Thornton, chairman of the National Police Chiefs' Council, warned stop-and-search powers are not being exercised enough in the fight against violent crime.

“Stop and search or arrests are not a silver bullet, but they are an important tool in helping to protect the public from violent crime,” she said.
And in New York, "Stop and Search was accused of racial profiling. But not in the UK.

“I’m not excusing criminality. The responsibility for these acts of violence lay with the criminals - we are going to be tough on them and that is why we are investing in policing.”
Michaels153

Postby leftyg » April 8th, 2018, 6:27 pm

The model's face anecdote is ridiculous? How? Because you and I don't feel the way that the model does? It's the model's feelings, not yours Bozo. I will continue to use anecdotes and the truth and make my points.

The model's face analogy is ridiculous because being alive gives her so many possibilities? Being dead offers her and her loved ones nothing but pain. If you cannot understand that, you understand nothing. And this purile nonsense about "Knife Control" is stunning. When a knife has the killing power of an AR15, we can talk
You can continue with your statistics and never prove anything.
No you cannot prove anything which is absolutely true. But anecdotes absolutely prove nothing. My methods are infinitely more useful that what you are offering. The difference is I do not believe in panaceas and you evidently do. The fact that you reject empirical evidence is your intellectual death nil. It renders you a Nazi of the spirit.
leftyg

Postby Michaels153 » April 8th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Leftyg you know nothing about people. That model speaks for herself. Maybe in time she will change her mind. You believed in evolution and rejected empirical evidence demonstrating that its own claims were not scientific. I dont reject empirical evidence. I reject your conclusions of the evidence. A rabbi once said there is more than one path to the mountain top. But not for you. Your way is the only way and if people dont agree with you then according to you then they are wrong.
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » April 9th, 2018, 8:09 am

Leftyg: The model's face analogy is ridiculous because being alive gives her so many possibilities? Being dead offers her and her loved ones nothing but pain. Tell that to the Anorexic who believes they are overweight and denies that they have an underweight problem. Remember Karen Carpenter, who had every reason to live for. Tell the smoker who is coughing about the dangers of Cancer, the warning on the cigarette packs, and ask them why they won't stop. Tell the Africans who don't believe in HIV. And since you cannot understand this, you understand nothing. If you cannot understand that, you understand nothing. And this purile nonsense about "Knife Control" is stunning. When a knife has the killing power of an AR15, we can talk

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5251268/london-stabbing-knife-crime-statistics-violence-deaths-latest/
Fatal stabbings in London, 2018
January 1 - Steve Frank Navarez-Jara, 20, Islington
January 3 - Elizabeta Lacatusu, 44, Redbridge
January 8 - Daniel Frederick, 34, died in Hackney
January 9 - Dami Odeyingbo, 18, stabbed in Bromley
January 11 - Harry Uzoka, 25, killed in Shepherd's Bush
January 28 - Yaya Mbye, 26, stabbed in Stoke Newington
January 29 - Juan Olmos Saca, 39, stabbed in Peckham
January 31 - Khader Saleh, 25, stabbed at Wormwood Scrubs prison
February 3 - Hassan Ozcan, 19, knifed in Barking
February 3 - Kwabena Nelson, a youth worker, died after being stabbed near his home in Tottenham
February 8 - Hannah Leonard, 55, stabbed in a flat in Camden
February 11 - Sabri Chibani, 19, stabbed in Streatham
February 13 - Saeeda Hussain, 54, was stabbed in Ilford
February 14 - Lord Promise Nkenda, 17, stabbed in Canning Town
February 18 - Lewis Blackman, 19, knifed in Kensington
February 19 - Rotimi Oshibanjo, 26, stabbed in Southall
February 20 - Sadiq Mohammed, 20, stabbed in Camden
February 20 - Abdikarim Hassan, 17, stabbed in Camden
February 25 - Michael Boyle, 44, stabbed in the chest
March 1 - Christopher Beaumont, 42, stabbed in Hammersmith
March 5 - Laura Figueira, 47, stabbed in Twickenham
March 5 - Kelva Smith, 20, knifed in Croydon
March 14 - Lyndon Davis, 18, stabbed in Chadwell Heath
March 16 - Naomi Hersi, 36, found with stab wounds at hotel near Heathrow Airport
March 17 - Russell Jones, 23, stabbed in Enfield
March 18 - Tyrone Silcot, 41, stabbed in Hackney
March 19 - Balbir Johal, 48, knifed in Southall
March 19 - A 41-year-old was stabbed to death in Waltham Forest but is yet to be identified
March 20 - Beniamin Pieknyi, 21, stabbed at Stratford shopping centre
March 26 - David Potter, 50, stabbed in Tooting
March 29 - Reece Tshoma, 23, stabbed in Plumstead
March 30 - Leyla Mtumwa, 36, found with stab wounds at a home in Haringey
April 1 - A 20-year-old was stabbed in Wandsworth, but police have not formally identified the victim
April 4 - A 38-year-old man stabbed at a house in Lewisham has not yet been formally identified
April 4 - Israel Ogunsola, 18, was stabbed to death in Hackney on 4 April. Police were alerted by a motorist and performed first aid but the teenager died at the scene
Are stabbings on the rise?
Knife crime across the country has risen by a staggering 21 per cent in the 12 months to September 2017, according to quarterly figures released by the Office of National Statistics.

Stabbings in London are at their highest level in six years, with a 23 per cent rise from the previous year.

from Leftyg: When a knife has the killing power of an AR15, we can talk

These killers didn't need an AR 15.
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » April 9th, 2018, 11:41 am

... I would submit that some physical attacks are not designed to kill, but to maim.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/08/chicago-man-slashed-womans-cheek-and-jaw-at-bus-station.html
This was reported on Fox News yesterday

Chicago slasher.jpg
Chicago Police identified 36-year-old Deandre Cavaness as the suspect who slashed a woman's face while she waited at a bustop. (Chicago Police)
Chicago slasher.jpg (35.2 KiB) Viewed 2043 times

A Chicago man accused of slashing a middle-aged woman’s face with a knife last week was ordered held without bail Saturday.

The suspect, identified as Deandre Cavaness, 36, approached the 54-year-old woman at a bus stop around 9 p.m. in an area about 10 miles west of Chicago.

Cavaness then allegedly slashed the victim on the left side of her face, the Chicago Tribune reported, citing prosecutors.

Police say they received a call of a stabbed victim and an alleged perpetrator nicknamed “Dre” who wore a black coat and had a thin build. The suspect was spotted under an adjacent viaduct a few minutes after the slashing, police said.

The suspect was placed in custody after attempting to run from police and an angry crowd, police said.

The victim incurred a deep gash on her cheek and jaw for which she was hospitalized, police said.

Authorities don’t know what motivated Cavaness. A judge denied his bail
Michaels153

Postby leftyg » April 9th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Michaels, London is a city of eight million people http://worldpopulationreview.com/world- ... opulation/
And your example was horrible When was the last time a knife wielding madman killed 58 people with a knife. Collecitng individual deaths over a long time is a meaningless comparison.
There are no AR 15 deaths in London "probably" because there aere no or very few AR !%s in London

Of course you can come up with a list like this which takes up a big part of a page. You do realize that 35 killings, which is the number the number your source gives, because it does not say that all the people you mentioned died..

Yes it is a long list. You do realize that 35 killings in a city of 8 million people is less than one per hundred thousand, and our gun murder rate is much higher, especially in large cities. You do realize that our lowest states Hawaii and Massachusetts have gun death rates of about three per hundred thousand. I would also caution you that the gun death rate

So while obviously it that knife violence and death are horrible they do not compare with gun violence according to the Centers for Disease Control, nine of the top ten states in guns deaths had laws that failed:to meet fire arm law standard and received an F while seven of the ten safest states had "B"ratings or better. and the other three got a "C" or a "C-" https://www.factcheck.org/2015/10/gun-l ... nd-crimes/

And while this evidence is correlation not causation it shows a trend. And your talk about the model is absolutely silly. The fact that horrible things can happen with a knife does not make those events as bad as a mass shooting. The five states with the lowest gun deaths are all deep blue states and very populated. Four of the five highest gun deth states are deep red with number five, Nevada being highly transient.

Also, whatever the knife death rate
leftyg

Postby leftyg » April 9th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Michaels, what was the point of the picture. Yes knife violence is bad. It just is not as prevalent as gun violence. The is a terribly weak red herring on your part. I do not know if anybody has seen it, but I cannot imagine anybody being persuaded by it.
leftyg

Postby Michaels153 » April 18th, 2018, 8:16 pm

First to catch up on recent posts:
Leftyg: The reason for the comparison between London and New York is based partly on how close they are in population and also because Great Britain is often held up by gun control advocates (you) as a model that we should perhaps consider to follow.
You say my examples are horrible simply because the total number of people killed in one incident has been more by guns than knives. And while you point out that not everyone who is stabbed dies, the same is true by people shot by guns.
https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/sorry-despite-gun-control-advocates-claims-u-s-isnt-the-worst-country-for-mass-shootings/
Sorry, Despite Gun-Control Advocates' Claims, U.S. Isn't The Worst Country For Mass Shootings
2/20/2018
Gun Deaths: It's become commonplace to hear after a U.S. shooting tragedy that, when it comes to guns, America is just more violent than other countries, especially those in Europe, where many countries have stiff gun-control laws. It's a progressive shibboleth, but even some conservatives agree. The only problem is, it's not true. ...
a study of global mass-shooting incidents from 2009 to 2015 by the Crime Prevention Research Center, headed by economist John Lott, shows the U.S. doesn't lead the world in mass shootings. In fact, it doesn't even make the top 10, when measured by death rate per million population from mass public shootings.

So who's tops? Surprisingly, Norway is, with an outlier mass shooting death rate of 1.888 per million (high no doubt because of the rifle assault by political extremist Anders Brevik that claimed 77 lives in 2011). No. 2 is Serbia, at just 0.381, followed by France at 0.347, Macedonia at 0.337, and Albania at 0.206. Slovakia, Finland, Belgium, and Czech Republic all follow. Then comes the U.S., at No. 11, with a death rate of 0.089.That's not all. There were also 27% more casualties from 2009 to 2015 per mass shooting incident in the European Union than in the U.S.

"There were 16 cases where at least 15 people were killed," the study said. "Out of those cases, four were in the United States, two in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom."

"But the U.S. has a population four times greater than Germany's and five times the U.K.'s, so on a per-capita basis the U.S. ranks low in comparison — actually, those two countries would have had a frequency of attacks 1.96 (Germany) and 2.46 (UK) times higher."

The purpose of the comparison between London and New York city is to point out again that murder is murder. If a person has decided to kill somebody, it does not matter what the law is or what bans have been enacted. Perhaps the progressives in Great Britain are starting to realize that now. But if they are realizing that murder can not be stopped by a ban on a type of weapon, they are still willing to enact more bans, that will also not stop murder.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/9/gun-control-londons-muslim-mayor-sadiq-khan-bans-k/
Gun control? London’s Muslim Mayor Sadiq Khan bans knives
By Cheryl K. Chumley - The Washington Times - Monday, April 9, 2018
ANALYSIS/OPINION:
London’s Sadiq Khan, the first Muslim to assume a mayor’s role for a major Western city, thinks he’s found the cause of the uptick in stabbings his community’s seen in recent times — wayward knives.

And as such, he’s banned the carrying of knives in the city. In the city where migration counts have escalated in recent times, by the way. Coincidence? To Khan — apparently.

He’s put out this message to all the knife-carriers of the city: Leave the blades at home. All violators will be arrested — they will not pass Go but instead, be sent right to Jail. Not to make Monopoly light of the situation — but really, what kind of game is this mayor playing?

“No excuses,” Khan tweeted.Khan is a Tweeter :o “[T]here is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law.”
His message came as London recorded more homicides than the comparatively-sized New York, a historical first. By the numbers, London’s suffered 50 homicides already this year, most of which have been stabbed. Why? ‘Cause guns are already pretty much outlawed in London so the murderous-minded need to find a different weapon.

Just goes to show what conservatives and Second Amendment advocates have been saying for some time: It’s not the gun, stupid.

Remember Progressives, -> It's not the gun, STUPID!
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » April 18th, 2018, 8:23 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6069878/poundland-stop-selling-knives-london-stabbings/
NO MORE KNIVES Poundland to stop selling kitchen knives in ALL stores after spike in violence in London
The move follows at least 35 people being fatally stabbed in London since the beginning of the year
By Thea Jacobs
17th April 2018,

What is next? Dick Sporting Goods to stop selling baseball bats?
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » April 18th, 2018, 8:57 pm

https://www.snopes.com/news/2015/06/22/save-a-life-surrender-your-knife/
‘Save a Life, Surrender Your Knife’
Readers pondered a November 2014 article reporting that British police were undertaking an effort to disarm the citizenry of "pointy knives."
By Snopes Staff 22 June 2015

While California will probably agree with this movement, they are also very likely to be disappointed with themselves for not being the first to start it.
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » April 22nd, 2018, 1:51 pm

http://www.wnd.com/2018/04/knife-control-movement-crosses-atlantic/
KNIFE CONTROL MOVEMENT CROSSES ATLANTIC
Texas mother demands restrictions on blades
...Just days after the mayor of London, where stabbings have surged in recent years, tweeted that anyone caught with a knife “will feel the full force of the law,” a Texas mother who lost her son in a knife attack is taking action.PJ Media reported Lori Brown said the suspect who allegedly attacked her son “should have not been allowed to have an illegal knife on him and use it to murder somebody.”
She is lobbying Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott for more restrictions on knives.
“As with gun control, she seems focused more on restricting access to the weapon the murderer used than on enabling victims to defend themselves,” the report said.
Her son, University of Texas at Austin student Harrison Brown, died in a stabbing attack on campus in May 2017.
“I have nothing to lose. I will not take ‘no’ for an answer,” Brown declared. “If something like [the stabbing attack] happens again, I just don’t know what I would do.”Really?, well if it happens in another state, some liberal could tell her that she could lobby the Governor of that state as well. [Is this what we should come to expect as a product of our educational system? I am sure that their must be somebody from the left listening to this woman and guiding her through this. Another proud day for Liberals.
Authorities have charged Kendrex White, 21, with murder and aggravated assault in the stabbing spree that killed Brown’s son.
Police report he used a “Bowie-style” hunting knife to attack and injure four students.
Weeks after the attack, the governor signed H.B. 1935 into law allowing citizens to carry Bowie knives in more locations, ( here you go JuicedTruth,- better a knife than a gun) although they still cannot be carried on K-12 and college campuses. That would include Cub Scouts as well as teachers and everyone else on K-12 and college campuses.
Brown said the new law disregards her son’s death. Of course, that is the only possible reason for the new law -> to disregard her son's death. I am sure that the governor had this bill all ready to go and was just waiting for the next knife victim to die so that the bill could pass and disregard the person's death.
“It really did feel like a slap in the face,” she said.
Authorities have charged Kendrex White, 21, with murder and aggravated assault in the stabbing spree that killed Brown’s son.
Police report he used a “Bowie-style” hunting knife to attack and injure four students. The next item on the Liberal agenda is to redefine Bowie knives and Bowie style knives as...wait for it....wait for it....Yes!, You guessed it. ""Assault Knives ,"and "Assault Weapons." Soon will be the call to ban the sale of all table knives in stores. There will be a demand for restrictions on the sale of any knife on the internet, with a call to close all the loopholes for all online buying. Next will be knife registers, and not just for wedding gifts. Bring on the street parades, and the school protests. Don't forget to pillory anyone who disagrees with any call to action because we must remember that all bills presented by the Democrats are "reasonable."
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » May 18th, 2018, 8:12 pm

http://www.news10.com/news/ny-capitol-news/proposal-to-ban-archery-in-ny-schools/1171726819
NY Capitol News
Proposal to ban archery in NY schools
By: Web Staff
Updated: May 10, 2018

Guns, Knives, Now Archery. The regressive liberal agenda drolls on.
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » May 21st, 2018, 9:57 am

https://townhall.com/columnists/scottmorefield/2018/05/21/jimmy-kimmel-thinks-school-attacks-dont-happen-where-there-are-real-sensible-gun-laws--but-china-and-reality-beg-to-differ-n2482628
Jimmy Kimmel Thinks School Attacks Don’t Happen Where There Are ‘Real, Sensible Gun Laws’ -- But China And Reality Beg To Differ
By Scott Morefield |Posted: May 21, 2018

Since another sadistic maniac had just attacked a school, we’ve got to “do something,” as long as that “something” involves taking away freedoms from law-abiding Americans and not anything that would actually work, of course. But that wasn’t even the kicker to Kimmel’s rhetoric-filled nonsense. No, the kicker would be this gem:
“These kind of things don’t happen in countries with real, sensible gun laws,” Kimmel said with a straight face, even managing to cut the crocodile tears this time around.

So, what is a “real, sensible” gun law to Jimmy Kimmel? Does Norway have them? He’d probably say so, since they’re among the strictest in the Western world. Yet, in 2011, Anders Breivik literally dotted every i and crossed every t as he successfully navigated his country’s draconian gun laws to legally obtain a semi-automatic rifle under the pretence of hunting deer and a pistol by proving that he attended a shooting club regularly. Because those are the two ways private citizens are generally allowed to obtain a gun in Norway.

Except, Breivik wasn’t hunting animals. He was hunting humans, and given his country’s ridiculously strict gun control laws he could pretty well guarantee there wouldn’t be an armed response when he attacked a youth summer camp, killing 77 people and injuring hundreds more with a combination of bombs and shooting what tragically amounted to fish in a barrel with the guns he had legally obtained.

What about China? Kimmel would like China even better, I’d bet. He and his fellow libs would probably love enacting some of THOSE “real, sensible” gun control laws, especially since the Red Chinese essentially don’t allow gun ownership at all to its citizenry.

And no schools get attacked there, right?

Except, just three weeks ago a man with the surname Zhao attacked a middle school in central China, killing nine children and wounding 10 more... with a knife. “The attack revived fears in China about school safety, a perennial concern among parents,” wrote the New York Times. “Knives are a weapon of choice in China, where guns and other weapons are strictly regulated.” The Times then unironically quoted a Weibo user who unironically wrote, “I thought campuses were safe without guns.”

In fact, guns have little to do with parental concern about school safety in China these days. As the Times notes, a “spate of stabbings prompted the government to tighten security at schools, installing gates and cameras and training security guards to fend off attackers” in 2010. The attacks included a landlord who hacked seven kindergarteners and their teacher to death with a meat cleaver and another who killed eight children with a knife.

But even hardening the schools hasn’t entirely prevented the attacks, though they have undoubtedly helped. [In December 2012, a villager named Min Yongjun attacked Chenpeng Village Primary School, non-fatally stabbing an elderly woman and 23 children. In September 2011, a mentally ill farmer killed three adults and a young girl on their way to nursery school with an axe. And just last year a man killed seven and injured 65 with a bomb set outside an eastern China kindergarten.]

Experts blame the attacks on everything from social upheavals to a lack of mental care, but the truth is much simpler. Sadly, no matter what society does there will always be evil people in this world who will find ever more twisted ways to do evil things. The totalitarian Chinese have literally been at war with guns among its populace since they were invented, and yet its evildoers resort to knives to commit their mayhem while the law abiding, having nothing with which to defend themselves, have no choice but to submit to a tyrannical government - a government that, by the way, hasn’t hesitated to kill millions to accomplish it ends.

The fact that liberals like Jimmy Kimmel seem to seriously think removing a tool, especially one that is more often used for good, will somehow make the world a safer place is more than a testament to their perpetual ignorance - it could very well be proof of their own nefarious motives.

Which brings us back to Santa Fe, and American liberal efforts to ban or severely control guns as a way to somehow keep schools safer. USA Today got a lot of grief for referring to the weapons used as “less lethal,” but they have a small point in that a so-called “assault rifle” wasn’t used this time around. And yet, after Parkland, such rifles were plastered on protest signs everywhere as the scourge of evil. After Santa Fe are we to ban shotguns now? Pistols? Knives?

In truth, there is no law that could have successfully prevented this latest tragedy. If the murderer couldn’t have stolen the legally obtained weapons from his father or someone else, does any rational person really think he wouldn’t have resorted to knives or bombs or another weapon to exact his twisted revenge? If you do, you probably thought schools were “safe” in China.

There is only one path to preserve liberty and protect our children at the same time, and that is to truly harden our schools. A plan toward that end is laid out brilliantly in this Townhall classic by Kevin McCullough, published after Parkland.

Even then, until Christ returns, no place where humans reside will ever be totally safe. But I, for one, would far rather live with such uncertainty as a free man than as a slave.

The left could ban every known item used thus far in murders or attacks and that would not prevent future murders or attacks. No amount of money set aside for Mental Health facilities will prevent another murder or attack. And if the left are tired of hearing this, then they can stop calling for more bills to be passed by congress that will do nothing to stop the murders or attacks from happening. These murders, these attacks are not part of a certain culture. They are not a product of a country's history. The deaths in this country are not the result of a "gun culture". If the left were concerned about people's lives they would accept measures to stop the evil when it occurs much like a fireman does everything they can to put out a fire. For the most part, the Left's approach to gun violence and school attacks have not helped, and it certainly has not made arguments for control persuasive.
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » May 25th, 2018, 5:52 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/05/25/woman-whose-ex-killed-himself-after-attacked-him-with-acid-gets-life-sentence.html
Woman whose ex killed himself after she attacked him with acid gets life sentence
By Elizabeth Llorente

A jilted woman’s decision to destroy her ex-boyfriend by pouring acid over him – leaving him in such pain and disfigurement that he chose to die through euthanasia -- has been handed a life sentence in jail.

=Michaels: I would submit that some physical attacks are not designed to kill, but to maim. The easiest examples of this kind are the acid attacks. There are some people and some victims who believe that to suffer the life changing impact of being maimed (as in fires or the knife attacks to model's faces is worse than death.
(4/7/18)

=Leftyg:The model's face anecdote is ridiculous. I am sure her friends and family would rather have her to laugh with and talk to than miss her forever. I would rather deal with wounded people than dead ones. I am sure the parents at Parkland would vouch for that. One final thing. I try always to use statistical data and studies which you seem to dismiss. If it were not for anecdotes and half-truths, you and Bob Frantz would have nothing to say. (4/7/18)

Once again Leftyg, this example shows others how clueless you are. And where are you going to find statistics that explain this? Here is an example of a person who chose death over pain and disfigurement. But he did not choose to end his life with a gun. Maybe I should not have said that. Maybe I should have tried to find statistics of how many people committed suicide last year versus this year. Maybe we should have compared statistics with how many thought to end their life with legal assisted suicide from last year through this year. And if the trend were up or down what is your response? If it is up do you look up the canned response from the progressive playbook and suggest that we invest more money in mental health services including caller hot lines? And if the statistics are down from a year ago, is the canned response that the number of suicides or assisted suicides is "just...X ? I mean that is how you look at your statistics, and how you respond to them in discussing X abortions.
Michaels153

Postby Michaels153 » August 18th, 2018, 5:05 pm

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/08/16/since-banning-guns-knives-didnt-work-london-mayor-wants-ban-cars/
Since Banning Guns And Knives Didn’t Work, London Mayor Wants To Ban Cars
Posted on August 16, 2018 by Tom Knighton

When someone is determined to kill as many people as humanly possible in as short a time as humanly possible, they’re going to find a way to do it. If you take away the usual tools to kill people with, they’ll get creative. No matter what, they’ll find a way to murder people if they so choose.

So, when governments ban the tools used by these people in a misguided attempt to prevent future attacks, all they’re doing is depriving law-abiding citizens of these tools for non-criminal use. They don’t actually stop evil men from committing mass murder.

Over in England, they haven’t seemed to figure that out yet. A mass attack triggered a gun ban. Then they decided to ban knives. Now, they’re looking to ban cars following yet another attack. Well, at least cars in some parts of the city.

Three people were injured after police say a car collided with a number of cyclists and pedestrians before crashing into barriers that line the Houses of Parliament.

Khan told BBC radio that making certain areas only available to pedestrians would provide more safety to both citizens and buildings in the surrounding area.

...In other words, they’re still not getting the picture. Then again, I’m pretty sure Sadiq Khan wouldn’t get the picture if you drew it in crayon right before his very eyes,...
He thinks that if he bans cars from certain areas of London, then terrorists and other madmen won’t find another way to murder innocent people?
...There are violent people in his city, people who would see every person in that city dead if given an opportunity, and he’s running throwing cups of gasoline on the fires and saying it’s water.

London is a city of millions of people. Imagine how this would have been different if the terrorist had faced even one armed citizen?

But it’s London. They don’t have that option there, so instead, it’s a city of lambs to the slaughter.
Michaels153

Postby leftyg » August 19th, 2018, 2:36 am

Similarly, New York had 352 murders in the calendar year 2015, while London's Metropolitan Police recorded 109 homicides between 1 April 2015 and 31 March 2016. When reporting on The Sunday Times story, The Independent noted that London remains substantially the safer city overall.Apr 3, 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 86866.html
leftyg

Return to Politics