The Windfall Elimination Provision

Discuss local, regional, state, federal, and world politics. Keep it classy, Cleveland.

The Windfall Elimination Provision

Postby leftyg » December 6th, 2017, 6:22 pm

is a piece of doggy doo-doo. What it is is a law that penalizes work and penalizes hard working middle and lower middle income Americans and me. Congress passed it in 1983 to make sure that nobody who works for a living can ever get rich. And I honestly do not know too much about it, only that it has hurt me.

To start with it is a law that says even if you put into Social Security, you cannot get what you would have gotten in benefits if you decided to switch careers and do something else that does not pay into Social Security. In other words, it penalizes work. And it is administered by Social Security which cannot be good.

This is my saga of perdition: It began on an early September day in 2015 in an east side office of the Social Security Administration. I was getting a small monthly stipend from SSA and was told that I could win the lottery and not lose it because I was 66 years old at the time. But if I ever took my teacher's pension I had to pay the piper. So I went to the office prepared to do just that. I handed them the relevant pay stubs and was told that I would get a determination shortly.

By December nothing in my monthly Social Security checks had changed, and I said "OK I do not have anything to worry about." I should have checked the IQ scores of the staff at the facility before I said what I said. In a sense, I should have known better.

Two years passed and life is a celebration of happiness. About once a year I would get a call from Social Security which I figured was a scam because they do that to us old guys all the time. I would just tell them that I had taken care of all the paperwork at this east side office about four miles from my home in fabulous Bratenahl, take Route 90 east.

Anyway this one woman called claiming to be from the Chicago office. I humored her but did not give her any relevant personal information that she did not already know. I did not trust her because she refused to give me the Social Security national number which is 1-800-772-1213. I already knew it and wondered why she would not give it to me. She did give me a number for the local office, and a guy answered, and he had such a shitty attitude I figured he had to be a scam artist and that he and this woman were playing a game of good cop-bad cop with me. My friends said it must be a scam.

Anyway, it wasn't apparently. And now I owe almost 12 thousand dollars in overpayments. I am holding tight for another week to see what is what. But here is the thing: if they had processed my paperwork in September 2015, I would have owed about 1200 dollars not 12 thousand. So you combine a bad law with lousy administration and you get one unhappy leftyg. Oh well, another rotten day in paradise.
leftyg

Re: The Windfall Elimination Provision

Postby JuicedTruth » December 7th, 2017, 8:50 am

That's a tough situation. I've heard Social Security will agree to you making monthly payments with no interest in order to make up the $12,000 and they set the payments so it doesn't over-burden you, probably in the $25-$50 per month range.
JuicedTruth

Postby leftyg » December 7th, 2017, 11:07 am

That's a tough situation. I've heard Social Security will agree to you making monthly payments with no interest in order to make up the $12,000 and they set the payments so it doesn't over-burden you, probably in the $25-$50 per month range.
From your cyber pen to the Social Security Administrator's ear. I have to get to work, but I still believe that this is a bad law though I do not have time to get into it now.
leftyg

Postby hmmmmm » December 7th, 2017, 12:24 pm

hmmmmm....Not an expert <<<<<
But if you paid into Social Security tax for 30 years or more of substantial earnings, the Windfall Elimination Provision does not affect you.
Now if your pension comes from the government, it can affect how much you receive from SSI, so there could be over payments there.
I would do nothing until I go back to the Social Security office in person and find out the truth, because it still sounds like a scam to me.
Either way, GOOD LUCK Leftyg !!
The worst form of inequality, is to try to make unequal things equal ~~~~~ Aristotle

You can't cure poverty by creating more dependency ~~~~~

"Science flies you to the moon. Radical Islamists fly you in to buildings."
~~~~~ hmmmmm
hmmmmm

Return to Politics