[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3825)
Cleveland Talk • View topic - Spring Training Game 2 Feb. 28 - Tribe at Reds

Spring Training Game 2 Feb. 28 - Tribe at Reds

Spring Training Game 2 Feb. 28 - Tribe at Reds

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » February 28th, 2011, 4:32 pm

I have no designs on taking Jedi's "job" of running a play-by-play thread (well, it's not that detailed but it sure gets the job done). He does a great job and I could never keep up. But since he mentioned that he won't be here today I thought I would start a thread with just a few highlights.

First inning was uneventful. Choo gave Bronson a hard time when he was at bat but Bronson won and got him out anyway. However, the second inning was more fun for the Tribe (so far). Travis Buck hit himself a homer a country mile (Cinci's broadcaster's comment - no Tribe coverage and I'm appreciating our guys more and more...) so we're on top 1-0. On the other hand Fausto has let two Reds get on base...but Fausto still gets out of the inning unscathed. :D

More to come very randomly ;) later.
TribefanstuckinMA

Re: Spring Training Game 2 Feb. 28 - Tribe at Reds

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 28th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Did Valbuena actually just score a run? How is that possible?
tribenutupnorth

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » February 28th, 2011, 4:50 pm

:lol: Well I know how it was done (Choo batted him in) but why he's still with the Tribe? Haven't a clue..... Hey, maybe they're "showcasing" him so they can dump him on another team? Naw, that didn't work with Marte, did it. :o NO!!! Please don't make Valbie this year's version of Marte! :shock:
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 28th, 2011, 4:58 pm

tribenutupnorth

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 28th, 2011, 5:07 pm

HOLY CRAP! Valbuena just got an RBI!
tribenutupnorth

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » February 28th, 2011, 5:16 pm

You beat me to it, 'nut! I was impressed with Bush's legs! That guy got two bases on the throwing error by Dontrelle! :shock: :D SaWEET!

We went into this inning and we were ahead 2-0. At the end of our half of the fourth we doubled our lead! So far, so good.
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 28th, 2011, 5:19 pm

tribenutupnorth

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » February 28th, 2011, 5:31 pm

HaHa! :P And beside that I've got the dude's name wrong (but you didn't catch that, did you... ;) ) Wherever I might have typed "Bush" I was really meaning "Buck". :roll: Oops....
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 28th, 2011, 5:35 pm

haha... baseball might have not been the purpose of that post.

SPEAKING of baseball, BALK! We'll take 'em any way we can get them :)
tribenutupnorth

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » February 28th, 2011, 5:50 pm

History repeated itself for the Tribe in the fifth...they head into the top of the inning up 4-0 and they DOUBLE their score! :shock: Wow, we're up 8-zip! Could this be a lead we can win with?

BTW, after two out-producing ABs for Jordy Brown he got a stand-up triple and drove in a couple of runs. Good for him! We saw him in Pawtucket and he can run!
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 28th, 2011, 5:54 pm

tribenutupnorth

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » February 28th, 2011, 7:07 pm

I'm out. Newstime and I catch the 6:00PM local followed by 6:30 with Diane Sawyer. We're up by a dozen, shutting the Reds out, and we're in the 8th inning. If we don't win this one we may as well ALL take the season off! (or not...)

Go Tribe!
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 28th, 2011, 7:14 pm

tribenutupnorth

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » February 28th, 2011, 9:12 pm

*phew* I'm safe! Tribe wins 12-0! 1-1 in spring training with a one-run, ninth inning loss in game one and an absolute blow-out/shut-out in game two. I'll take it!

I'll leave the "Good Points/Bad Points" evaluations to Jedi after he listens to the replay. You do such a good job of that Insane!!!
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby InsaneJedi » March 1st, 2011, 2:07 am

Much busier tonight than I anticipated...Replay will have to wait til tomorrow. Sorry to keep you in suspense. :lol: :lol:

On the plus side, a friend (a Reds fan, actually) had the Gameday up during class and gave me updates. Great to see the Tribe bats come alive, and the pitching hold the fort! Again, I'll have more detailed thoughts likely sometime tomorrow.

GO TRIBE!!
Proud supporter of Jason Donald, aka Joey Hustle! Get well soon, Joey; we all want you back.
InsaneJedi

Postby tribenutupnorth » March 1st, 2011, 11:01 am

tribenutupnorth

Postby InsaneJedi » March 1st, 2011, 8:10 pm

My thoughts and observations about Monday's game:

-Fantastic job all around by Indians pitching. Starters Carmona and Gomez both looked very sharp, putting up two innings of zeroes each, although Gomez did allow two hits. Perfect inning by Tony Sipp--good to see. Germano and Herrmann each recorded a strikeout, but both allowed some hits.

-Exciting to see Nick Hagadone pitch. He is slated to pitch in the Akron rotation, but I suspect that he will be moved into the bullpen this season, and moved up to Columbus once some of the relievers start to cycle. He could be a big-league reliever as soon as 2012.

-Travis Buck had a GREAT game. Three for three with a home run. Ezequiel Carrera also had two RBI. With Trevor Crowe still out with elbow soreness and it looking more and more like Grady will open the season on the DL, there is a roster spot open, and both candidates are looking good early in the spring.

-Top prospect watch: Props to Jason Kipnis, who launched a home run in his debut. Chisenhall went hitless, but he did look good at the plate; he worked a walk, and also saw a lot of pitches in his first at-bat.

-I had honestly forgotten Matt McBride was still in the system. :lol: With the injuries to the Indians' outfielders, both he and Jerad Head are up from minor league camp to fill in in these games. McBride has a pretty good bat; he started as a catcher but his glove didn't play. He stalled a bit last year in AA Akron, but he has a chance to put himself back on the map with a good season in 2011.

That's all I have. Stay tuned later tonight for my notes about today's game! 8-)
Proud supporter of Jason Donald, aka Joey Hustle! Get well soon, Joey; we all want you back.
InsaneJedi

Postby InsaneJedi » March 1st, 2011, 10:52 pm

As promised, here are my thoughts and observations about today's game:

-Carlos Carrasco had a great debut, with two shutout innings, no hits allowed, and two strikeouts (with a walk). Great to see from Carrasco. If he keeps this up, he should have no trouble fitting into the rotation.

-David Huff pitched about as well as he could in his two innings. He went six up, six down, and struck out the side in the fifth. That makes three out of three top candidates for the fifth starter’s job who performed up to expectations. It’s going to be an interesting race, which is good news for everyone.

-A few notes about the minor-league starters who pitched in the second half of the game. Zach McAllister, who we got for Austin Kearns last year, pitched two shutout innings. He should start the year in Columbus, and has a shot at making the show sometime this year. Kelvin De La Cruz gave up a run in two innings; he has had an unfortunate couple of years in the minors due to arm injuries, but he has a lot of potential. He should open in the Akron rotation.

-Joey Hustle update: Donald started today’s game at third base, and went one for three.

-Orlando had a big hit in today’s game (an RBI double), but also showed some difficulty in turning a double play early in the game. The scuttlebutt from new beat reporter Jordan Bastian is that he is not up to 100% arm strength yet. That’s troubling to me, because he is a career shortstop; second base requires less arm strength. If he can’t make 2B throws, he may severely harm us defensively.

-Finally, Austin Kearns doesn’t seem to be letting the public knowledge of his DUI affect his game, which is nice to see. Kearns went two for three in today’s game.

That's all I have for today's game. I won't be able to listen to tomorrow's game live, but you can look for my thoughts hopefully by tomorrow night.
InsaneJedi

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » March 2nd, 2011, 3:17 am

Jedi, I really appreciate the post-game reviews you do. While I'm listening to a game I'm great for spotting the good plays while they happen. Once the game is over I don't see the big picture and how it lines up with an overview of the season. I guess what I'm saying is I really enjoy you picking out what counts? Sounds good, huh? :)
TribefanstuckinMA

Return to Sports