What does the fast start mean?

What does the fast start mean?

Postby tribenutupnorth » May 7th, 2011, 4:52 am

I have no idea what it means for this year. Anyone who tells you they do is probably wrong either way.

BUT, what it means for the coming seasons: despite how badly the front office botched this rebuild, it seems that it has actually kinda worked! What we do know is that whether the tribe keeps winning or falls to mediocrity (or worse) we DO have up-and-coming success in the organization. The next few years should be fun to watch!
It's all about US- Kevin Keane
tribenutupnorth

Re: What does the fast start mean?

Postby Big McLargehuge » May 7th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Let's look at the the numbers as they now stand. The Indians have the best record in basesball. At 21-10, only Philadelphia can match that mark, which is undeniably good company. What remains to be seen is just how much they can keep that pace going. The rest of the Central Division is not looking strong at all, most importantly Chicago and Minnesota, who have floundered coming out of the gate. I won't deny that it is possible that they could trail off, but to do so after a month of such a strong start would be unusual, an even then it would take a significant fall for them to be unable to take the division.

As an optimist, I think our chances are good, but as we all know, it's a long season. I look forward to finding out.
I can't feel my brain!
Big McLargehuge

Postby Wahoo1324 » May 13th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Okay, after losing 4 of 5, it is safe to say that this team is a contender if they come back strong from this scuffle. They haven't met any obstructions yet.

Now they're losing.

Run off a few wins to stop this streak and it'll prove them to me after about 40 games.
Wahoo1324

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » May 14th, 2011, 1:43 am

A different spin on that is they've played .500 ball over the last ten, played .500 during the six-game West coast trip and *ahem* have not had a losing streak of longer than two games. (Crap, I just jinxed us. :shock: ) Of our 13 losses eight of them were by a one- or two-run margin! Two of them were just played against the Rays. Only three games since opening weekend were "blowouts" . And from what I can remember of most of the games they lost they still battled until the end. Right now I'm thinking the 40-game mark is too soon to decide they're not for real this year. Only 3 more to go and even if they lose 'em all we'd still be better than the skankees and red sux even if they both won...not likely since they're matched up this weekend. BUT if they're still doing OK (remember even playing .500 the rest of the year gets us something like 87 wins) by the end of June I'll be dreaming about a design for my WS banner for my front porch. ;)
My happiness and success is not dependant on someone else's cooperation. It is up to me to succeed.
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby tribenutupnorth » May 16th, 2011, 2:02 pm

I'm also reserving judgement for a while. I just don't know, especially because the team is so young...
tribenutupnorth

Postby Wahoo1324 » May 20th, 2011, 6:06 pm

This looks to be a turning point in the season to me. Facing a few injuries and a small scuffle, as well as the lead on second not being quite as big as it used to be this could be the point where the tribe loses it.

Past the 40 game mark I still think that I'll consider them contenders after they pull out of this.

Not that they're playing BAD in any way, I still think we have the best AL record? And if they keep up on the away record of exactly .500 while holding baseball's best home record it's looking pretty good.

GO TRIBE
Wahoo1324

Postby tribenutupnorth » May 31st, 2011, 9:46 pm

How the tribe rebounds from this rough stretch (if you can call it that; they're 5-5 in the last 10, but have lost 4 out of 5) really says a lot to me about how "for real" the team is. This is a brutal stretch of opposition starting pitching, and with Hafner out, that hurts. So if the tribe can pull out of this nicely, I think I just might start believing...
tribenutupnorth

Postby Wahoo1324 » June 28th, 2011, 7:40 pm

If only
Wahoo1324

Postby robespierre4 » April 10th, 2013, 6:36 pm

A streak is played up too but it is relative. In Cleveland two wins is a streak. In fact, I'm sure you remember a few years back when Indians were out of it but we were rooting for Travis Hafner to best the all-time grand slam record, but he got cracked on the hand by a fastball and broke his wrist. I think he would have done it--and baseball is the only sport where anyone would have give a damn because after playoffs and pennants are lost baseball fans ramp down and stick around to see if anything else positive for their team or their players eventuates.
robespierre4

Postby Scorpion » April 11th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I heard the Indians werent going to sell beer at Progressive Field anymore......they lost the opener.

Duh duh dump. :D
A man wants to have sex or he doesn't.
If he doesn't, its like trying to put a marshmallow into a parking meter.
Scorpion

Postby Michaels153 » April 13th, 2013, 4:03 pm

So when they dont have a good one, can we still get a cold one? :)
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Postby robespierre4 » April 14th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Starting pitching will determine what our record will be. Not starts or streaks.
robespierre4

Return to Sports