WTAM lost Browns, but is anyone surprised?

WTAM lost Browns, but is anyone surprised?

Postby Michaels153 » April 13th, 2013, 4:28 pm

They (mostly one person), say it was strictly business and that clear channel was not going to what they alluded to as the equivalent of lowering their rates because air time is expensive, or succumbing to exorbitant pricing.
Yea they try to have it both ways. They run commercials of happy customers who buy air time and try to make the case that their air time is worth the price. But they respond to the new ownership of the Browns to go in a different direction and WTAM blasts them for being cheap and going with weaker stations.
I really dont think this decision was all about money. Lets remember the high amount of criticism that the mouth and others at times made at the Browns last year. Right or wrong, and they are entitled and almost expected to make comments that can be critical at times, because they are a "talk show format". But when you are paying for broadcasting rights and in essence advertising your product with a company, you hope to be able to sell your product and its hard to do that with bad publicity.
This is not just about what the product does on the field because that can be subjective as well as a strict reporting of wins and losses.
So the Browns go in a different direction, and WTAM responds to that decision by labeling them as stooges.
Hmmmmmm. That is not what I would do if I lost an account. I would try to work at gaining them back, and that is hard to do when you are insluting them!
And if I was part of the decision makers for the Browns marketing division, I would not be inclined to return to WTAM anytime soon.
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Re: WTAM lost Browns, but is anyone surprised?

Postby robespierre4 » April 18th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Every sentence from their mouths ends with "Elk and Elk, serious lawyers for..." Their Browns coverage talent is getting old anyway.
robespierre4

Postby Biz » April 19th, 2013, 6:25 am

The biggest factor was an average of 20hrs of brokered [non game day] programming for the Browns year round.

Radio stations do what they can for pro sports teams and Ohio State but there is a point where the line is drawn in regards to them programming a station. WKNR runs a Browns show daily, year round at 6pm. Do you really think that would be a good business decision WTAM, especially during baseball season [it would air at 5pm]?
HATE! HATE! HATE!
The only championships this town has won since '64 is in the sport of Schadenfreude.
http://twitter.com/MuskBuck
Biz

Postby robespierre4 » April 19th, 2013, 6:06 pm

I know WTAM is pissed that Haslen watered down WTAM’s coverage/sponsor/revenue. Think about a business that has Ramos and boring Reese to cajole people into listening so it can pay bills. The “spew” is a desperate attempt but I admit I listened to it a couple times and Triv holds his own against the more educated Franz, mainly because Franz can’t gear down to a simpleton like Triv on the fly. More spews might make a difference. For example, how about mini, half-hour spews between Gary and rotating members of the old Franz message board? How about mixing polite company with crass, opinionated jerks like me? Wobbly v. robespierre4 would draw a crowd. Knowledgeable Joe-who could mix it up anyone; I think he’s ready to lite off over social issues. And the capable Michell123 could hold his own with screened callers with a capable devout sensor like..err..forgot his name, can't even find it on WTAM site anymore--Biz!
WKNR and 92.3 sneak in news when it is compelling, like the Boston bombing, because sports folks care about that stuff if it hits them in the face but five minutes later they need their sports fix and we're back to 92.3. No one is bold enough to move to the next level. Too much money involved. No balls.
robespierre4

Return to Sports