A Good Day

A Good Day

Postby Butters » November 25th, 2012, 8:25 pm

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321125005

Anytime the Steelers lose, I smile. I get in a good mood anytime the Browns win. When the Browns beat the Steelers, hell, it's almost as good as . . . I'll just stop there and keep this family-friendly.

I've always like the Browns-Steelers rivalry. My first memory of it was the 51-0 opening-day blowouts in Three Rivers Stadium back in 1989. It started to get really good around 1993 and 1994, when the Browns were last showing real promise, though the Steelers got the best of them. And, of course, there was that classic playoff game in January of 2003, when Kelly Holcomb shredded the Steelers for 429 yards but the Browns still coughed up the game.

In the Cowher days, I liked the Steelers - I thought they were classy, worthy team to have a rivalry with. This has changed in the last ten years or so. The Steelers became the darlings of sports media, and the NFL, for some reason. They're annually over-rated, and teams usually have to compete not only with the Steelers, but also with the referees. I'll never forget the outright fixed Super Bowl against Seattle, with officiating so bad it actually caused me to not watch the NFL the following year. As a fan, I've never recovered from that.

The character of the team also went down as they started to be treated like NFL royalty. They started acting like thugs, taking cheap shots often and then defending those cheap shots. The ultimate, of course, is having a star quarterback who enlisted a police force to assist him in a rape. Roethlisberger is the only player in the history of the game for whom I get happy when he is injured.

But this isn't only about hate. I love the Browns. They were the first team I ever really rooted for. I started watching football in 1988 and 1989, and if you'll recall, the Cowboys did not provide a lot for back then. That Kosar team was full of good guys, the best team never to play in the Super Bowl. I watched a few other good Browns teams since, though sadly most have been disappointing.

I actually have affection for this group. They play hard - really hard. This upset over the Steelers follows a game where they took the Cowboys to overtime, and that followed a game where they led really good Ravens team in the fourth quarter. I'm starting to think this team isn't that far away from being good. The defense is really good, when healthy. And the offense shows a lot of promise, executing well for a really young group, and I have to think that adding just one good playmaker makes this a pretty potent offense.

These guys have lost a lot games. But they play their butts off every week, and they're competitive. If they can just learn to win some close games like these . . . Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Better to just savor a win over Pittsburgh.

So, I love the Browns, and I hate the Steelers. Today has been a good day :)
I am to metaphor cheese as metaphor cheese is to transitive verb crackers!
Butters

Re: A Good Day

Postby robespierre4 » April 22nd, 2013, 6:54 pm

Browns 10-7 this year, maybe sneak into the playoffs. Defense will score lots of points if we get a pass rusher or that cornerback from Alambama.
robespierre4

Return to Sports