Congratulations Big Ten

Congratulations Big Ten

Postby Michaels153 » November 25th, 2012, 4:42 pm

This year there were a few surprises in college football. One of the most pleasing surprise is the rise of interest in and the ranking of some of this states own teams. A couple of teams from the MAC rose to national recognition but no less than five teams from the Big ten at one time or another was nationally ranked.
The rise of the Big ten may even cause some to be a little more open and a little less dismissive to the actual quality of strength.
No, the Big Ten has not risen to the same level as the SEC, but the gains they have made this year has forced some to actually consider the differences in style of play to be practical and not characteristic of any inherent weakness.
The first thing that surprised the sportswriters came when Nebraska did not come in and plow through the division.
The thing that I noticed was the backhanded compliments that the Big ten received when describing the success of Notre Dame. The critics of Notre Dame questioned their strength of schedule, but when some of the big guns start falling to unranked teams, the strength of schedule argument starts to lose some steam. So when analysts pointed out the toughness of Notre Dames' schedule by mentioning that they beat two nationally ranked teams from the Big ten, I had to smile.
It looks like Ohio state may end up 3rd in the final AP poll. It is unlikely that they would wind up any higher due to the unlikely series of circumstances that would have to occur. Still, to have four teams still nationally ranked in the AP top 25 at the end of the season is a nice accomplishment.
I think that along with some great football, this year will also be rembered for the heavy handedness of the NCAA, and the rise of some other conferences to national recognition.
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Re: Congratulations Big Ten

Postby Michaels153 » April 13th, 2013, 4:41 pm

College basketball this year was very entertaining. I usualy watch most of my games during the tournament but I was able to catch a few more this year prior to the madness.
And, after the noticeable improvement in football, the Big Ten really took some big steps this year in basketball.
I mean we could of had a Big Ten final of Ohio State versus Michigan!
Oh that would have been great.
To be honest though, I didn't have the Buckeyes making it to the big eight. I did have Louisville in the final.
I dont know what to make of this though. With college basketball losing many of their stars prior to the end of graduation, its hard to forecast next year predictions due to questionable areas of strength and consistency.
Next year, some of the changes from the reallignment of divisions also throws in a wildcard. But to me that makes college basketball, only more interesting.
The Liberal Creed: Take all the money you can, from all the people you can, in all the ways that you can, for as long as you can.
Michaels153

Re: Congratulations Big Ten

Postby robespierre4 » April 19th, 2013, 6:49 pm

His is important to you since you replied to yourself….Have you seen 2013 OSU football schedule? I haven’t but I guarantee you in-state bush-league teams like Toledo, O Miami and Youngstown State will be on there. Keep money here, not about football. Moving to the Big Ten is great but I’d like to see Syracuse and Notre Dame instead of Maryland and Rutgers. I think Syracuse beat OSU 30 years ago, probably last time they played. I think Maryland will bring all sports to Big Ten, not just football, which means OSU football will have their pie cut up further to support more non-revenue-generating side shows.
robespierre4

Return to Sports