Bonderman, Millwood, or niether?

Bonderman, Millwood, or niether?

Postby InsaneJedi » February 10th, 2011, 1:52 pm

For the last week or so, rumors have swirled that the Tribe brass have been talking to both Jeremy Bonderman and Kevin Millwood. They are apparently considering offering a major league contract to one of them, which would imply guaranteeing them a spot in the rotation. So my question is, who would you like to see signed? Bonderman, Millwood, or neither? (They almost certainly won't sign both to major league deals).

Personally, I would prefer them to not sign either to guaranteed contracts. I would be happy with them signing either or both to minor league contracts, with an invite to spring training, and give them a chance to compete for a rotation spot. We already have Carmona, Masterson, and Talbot "guaranteed" spots, and the thinking is that Carrasco will be handed spot four. If you give someone like Bonderman a spot, there is no competition among the starters; guys like Tomlin, Gomez, and Huff will have no shot at a roster spot. Not to mention, the AAA rotation is already over capacity with the acquisitions of Kluber and McAllister. You will end up probably cutting one or more of your minor league pitchers, or trading them for cash; that's not maximizing your resources. And a team in the Indian's financial situation MUST maximize its resources, or it will never compete.

Let Huff, Tomlin, and Gomez fight it out for the fifth rotation spot (along with dark horse candidates like McAllister, Laffey, and Reyes) and leave guys like Millwood and Bonderman on the scrap heap for once.
Proud supporter of Jason Donald, aka Joey Hustle! Get well soon, Joey; we all want you back.
InsaneJedi

Re: Bonderman, Millwood, or niether?

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » February 10th, 2011, 3:39 pm

If the Tribe is considering Bonderman or Millwood I guess other teams have passed them by. So they might be available come mid-May if we would need one of them? I say let the kids duke it out for the fifth spot and if they all tank then you go looking at one of the above...and then make it an incentives-loaded contract that would net the guy a nice paycheck at the end of the season. But he WOULD have to earn it.

I also like the idea of a spring training invite with no promises, but again thinking that if one of the kids sparkles the old guys are handed their hats and thanked for coming. Maybe a six-pack of brews on their way out too. ;)
My happiness and success is not dependant on someone else's cooperation. It is up to me to succeed.
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 10th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Jeremy Bonderman is the 2011 version of Jason Johnson. Ya heard it here first. mark my words. If he comes here, he will suck.
It's all about US- Kevin Keane
tribenutupnorth

Postby InsaneJedi » February 25th, 2011, 10:54 am

The latest rumor on the pile is that the Indians have been in talks with Chad Durbin. *Yawn* No thanks. :lol:
Proud supporter of Jason Donald, aka Joey Hustle! Get well soon, Joey; we all want you back.
InsaneJedi

Postby TribefanstuckinMA » February 25th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Haven't we "been there-done that" with him? If that's the best the Tribe can dig up at this time just LET THE KIDS PLAY! :roll:
My happiness and success is not dependant on someone else's cooperation. It is up to me to succeed.
TribefanstuckinMA

Postby tonyc » February 27th, 2011, 7:12 am

Millwood for the minimum (or barely above minimum)...he was a great help to CC's maturation as a pitcher in the time he was here before.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic... We are Americans and we have a RIGHT to debate and disagree with ANY administration!"
- Hillary Clinton :o
tonyc

Postby InsaneJedi » February 27th, 2011, 11:35 am

The front office confirmed that they have agreed to a one year deal with Chad Durbin. 800K plus up to 1M in incentives.

Grr....Another pointless signing. Especially coming on the heels of Manny Acta absolutely raving about our bullpen depth. :x
InsaneJedi

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 27th, 2011, 2:49 pm

...this is just going from bad to worse
tribenutupnorth

Postby InsaneJedi » February 27th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Interesting article by Paul Cousineau (whose blog, by the way, is a fantastic read twice a week) who is in favor of the Durbin signing. Actually makes a few very good points; namely, the lack of quality right-handed set-up men.

http://clevelandtribeblog.blogspot.com/
InsaneJedi

Postby shamwow imitator » February 27th, 2011, 10:33 pm

InsaneJedi wrote:The front office confirmed that they have agreed to a one year deal with Chad Durbin. 800K plus up to 1M in incentives.

Grr....Another pointless signing. Especially coming on the heels of Manny Acta absolutely raving about our bullpen depth. :x

Antonetti blows
Acta will never get another Major-League Gig after being fired here
Half our MLB roster will never see light of the Big Leagues again
I swear...a monkey could run this organization better than it's being run now
Been following the Indians for almost 40 years
Rock-Bottom

GO TRIBE !!!
shamwow imitator

Postby tribenutupnorth » February 28th, 2011, 11:20 am

InsaneJedi wrote:Interesting article by Paul Cousineau (whose blog, by the way, is a fantastic read twice a week) who is in favor of the Durbin signing. Actually makes a few very good points; namely, the lack of quality right-handed set-up men.

http://clevelandtribeblog.blogspot.com/

Jedi, this whole blog is great stuff! Thanks for posting
tribenutupnorth

Return to Sports